Mississippi River - Nessie Come...and Nessie GO

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Aug 16, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Paydirt!!!!! Finally caught a good'un on the Mississippi. Cuz, Darryl, and the "Professor" (aka River Rat) had me all fired up with there recent catches. I'm a bit delirious still, but wanted to wait and share once I got the pics. It was all I could do not type something last night.

Anyway, anchored off a ledge in 31 feet of water, he/ she hit on Asian fillet. Since I haven't caught many, I wasn't sure as to the size -- but I knew it was significantly bigger than another we had caught moments earlier that we estimated to be about 20lbs. It was already a good night as far as we were concerned, but this fish was different from the start. Took most of my line and we decided to disengage from the anchor and the drift was on. 30 agonizing minutes later we brought her aboard.

Immediately went to the boat ramp below the Alton Dam to take a few pictures. If you were within 10 miles of that location I suspect you heard the whooping and hollering. The best part of the story is she was only out of the water for the couple of minutes it took to get to the boat ramp and snap six pics. No CPR required as she took off immediately when I turned her around in the water. That was pretty surreal.

I'm not sure to the weight as I don't have any scales, but I do know it measured right at 49 inches +/-1 inch.

All in all we caught 4 fish from 7-11 (about 2.5 hours of actual fishing time). 2 were in the twenties, 1 was less than 5lbs, and I have no clue about the one in the picture. All were caught on asian carp fillets in water 30-50 feet deep.

Attached Files:

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Congratulations Greg on a good looking Blue!!! Thanks for sharing.:big_smile::big_smile:

3. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    nice fish great job love to see them hogs

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Great looking fish! It has got to be a sin, the amount of jealousy I have been feelin lately. LOL
    Oh, and thanks for releasing them!

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Congratulations Greg, nice fish... the one in my avatar is 48 inches and weighed right at 60 lbs so it would be a good quess yours is in the 60's. I caught him on August 3rd of last year and it looks like August is the month for many here. I was in that area yesterday morning... awesome day... Congratulations again Greg, you'll be pumped for a week or better and will be sporting a big smile for a long time.

6. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Jealousy is starting to take me over now, :crazy:, All these hogs and I'am still pulling in piglets :sad2:. Great fish, thanks for sharing.

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    nice fish dude. save some for the rest of us.

8. Wolvrine

Wolvrine New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Awesome FISH Greg, Congrats!! Keep 'em coming!

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You finally did it Greg. Good Job!

Don't give out that honey hole to too many people.:big_smile:

Please PM coordinates to darryl1.

Thanks! Great Fish!

Buy a scale, Geez!!:roll_eyes:

10. catfish77

catfish77 New Member

State:
    Mo (St. Charles area)
    Great job..At least some people can still catch fish..Thanks for the release

11. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing the background data (depth, bait) -- reps for the CPR.

12. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    She's a BEAUT! Thanks for sharing the pics and a bigger thanks for the CPR!

13. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    very nice fish greg, we should hook up and you show me that honey hole of yours.......lol

great catch buddy keep at

(oh yeah, buy a scale):smile2:

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Good Job Greg!!!

I know you've been after that fish for quite some time! The first is always the hardest, so now that you have that one out of the way, it will get alittle easier!!

GO GET 'EM!!

15. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Congrats on the nice blue! Looks to be a solid 50 something.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Atta Boy Greg! Nice Work Dude!!!!! The rest will come a little easier. Congrats on a great fish and thanks for sharing.

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
  18. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice fish! Awsome that he is still swimming!!! Congrats