Mississippi River near Festus

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Kutter, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Several members have been asking for a group get together on the Mississippi and wanted me to set something up. It's not a gathering, just a night of fishing.
    Well, I got an idea to run by ya. Seeing as how there could be as many as a dozen of us, boats would split us up an awful lot. Now I know there are some wing dikes that have a sand bar just downstream that would allow being able to cast nearly to the dike, if you tried real hard. Maybe some of you know of such a place. What do you think about setting up a campfire at one of those places and us all fish together? Those of us with boats would be happy to haul the nonboaters and their gear over to the spot we chose.

It just an idea, didn't say it was a good idea. Give me your thoughts. Would ya rather us just take our own boats and a passenger or two and split up? Or we could just fish the same locations, but that could make it a bit crowded.

At this time, I'm open for this fri or sat evening, July 27th/ 28th. Either one would be fine with me.

Come on, I need input quickly or it may all fall apart with this late notice.
    Cuz, Gary, Vince, Todd, Chris, and all the rest who showed an interest, chime in on what you think best.

Either way, some of us could go early and catch shad for everyone. That way we would have more time to visit and fish.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now I've waited 2 minutes, come on, I need input! LOL

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'm definetely game!!! I know several good spots. Friday night would work best for me, I will be out of town on Saturday.

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Kutter, since you,I and Cuz are all members of Plattin rock, we can all bring a guest in to launch, so 6 boats would probably be plenty. If not I'm sure some could launch at Truman access since it's actually in good shape for once.

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Personally, I would like to split up maybe after a long b.s. session. I am all for helping any of the non-boaters out too. Since most of us already have a boat that shouldn't be problem. I am thinking about running over to Wal-mart to purchase me a VHF radio. They have the handhelds for about 60 bucks. That way most of us would be able to talk back and forth without relying on a cell phone. How did you guys do the other night with the bait situation. Bait has been scarce around Truman access. We've been starting to use bluegill and targeting flatheads. We've been catching them, but none with any size yet...Come on everybody else...Cuz, Vince, anyone else...we need your input! I will be out there Friday regardless.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'll bring the FROZEN MOONEYES:beated::beated::beated::beated::beated:

I am slowly recovering from the BOC thrashing I received a short while back.:smile2:

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Sounds like a possibility, just decide which ramp we're heading out of and I'll try to be there. I have a boat as well, but no experience running it on the Mississippi. I'm willing to follow someone, but not really wanting to run a whole lot on my own.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'll bring some shad and bluegill. Looking forward to meeting everybody!!:smile2:
    Darryl, them frozen mooneyes ought to work like a charm. We've got two ramps here, one is private.Myself Cuz and Kutter are members and we can bring a guest. The other is public and is seven miles down river.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I really don't know if I can make it or not.

A little unsure about running a new section of river at night.

Don't you guys ever fish in the daytime? Fishing a little too slow then or what?

Gary, you mentioned fishing dikes at night. I thought shallows were the ticket for nighttime. Are you fishing the scour holes at night or the upstream edge?

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Darryl, I'll probably be fishing all day Friday also, just incase you want to come down and fish. I can show you a few good holes. I fish at night alot, but it seems after 1:00 or so the fish just shut off. This time of year I will be fishing the deep holes though. JMHO. I've had better luck

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    We couldn't find a single baitfish, till we went up Joacium Creek (or ever how you spell it). About half way to the dam, we hit into them with 6 or so every cast. The creek was 6-8 ft in the channel and the shad were hiding in the shadows of the brush. This was about 3pm.

12. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Friday might work.. that would be a really good time.. let me check it out with the boss.

13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I really wish this was happening next weekend. I have to move from sikeston back to rolla this weekend.

14. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    It is on my way back to Rolla however so if i get my apartment in shape this week and pack up the trailer on friday I might be able to swing it.

15. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What time are you going out Gary? Boss says I can go IF I get the list done.

Anyone heard from the Bananna boat?

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'll be fishing this Friday night, however I think I'll be fishing the Mississippi around St Louis, I have NO IDEA how far St Louis to Festus is on the water but, that's where I'll be!

17. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hey guys, what are the directions to the public ramp around Festus? TIA

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Bob there is Truman Access which is a little south of Festus, but is only about 7miles down river of our private ramp. Take I-55 to exit 170. Go south about 3 or 4 miles, make a left on AA, then make an immediate right on Big hollow. Follow the signs all the way to the river. I don't know how the water level looks at Flamm City in Arnold, but you could launch there too. It's about a 20 minute boat ride down to Festus.

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Vince I'm not sure yet. I'm sure it will be after noon sometime. I've got one of them lists too!

20. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lacledes landing is MM 180
    Meramec River Entrance from Flamm City is 160.5
    Platin Rock Boat Club 150

Flamm City.. I would guess with about 4 foot of water at the ramp.

What time is Kutter planning on going?
    Is that gate locked all the time?
    Could Kutter or Gary have Bobs boat come in as a guest if he wants to go?