Mississippi River near Baton Rouge - New Year (2008)

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by mullyden, Dec 31, 2007.

1. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Guys and Gals,
    2007 was a really good fishing year. It started out super, skidded back a lot in June and the rest of the summer, but ended pretty strong. I look forward to another fruitful, fun and safe year in 2008. I'd like to be the first to post at least a 10 lb+ 2008 fish pic in the New Year but will be happy for whoever gets the opportunity. Go get em!!

:0a23:

2. 12pack

12pack New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Wow! It's been over 24 hours, and Denny has yet to tell everyone about our trip.

Yesterday Denny & I caught 34 blues with a total weight of 63lbs. I'll let Denny give you the extraneous information, and I'm sure he'll have a few pics to post as well.
    :wink:

3. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like ya'll had a heck of a trip this past weekend. I am actually at a point that I can go this weekend. Denny give me a hollar if you are interested. I haven't been in about 6-7 months now. I am available both Saturday or sunday. Let me know.

4. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Jimmy let everyone know how we did on our 1st trip of 2008. They were biting pretty well and the weather and conditions were great. No problems getting in or out! Level at Baton Rouge was 15.3ft. Jimmy, just the facts here--except the first pic which is your first fish of 2008. That's probably the only extraneous info in this post. Jimmy's fish can be contrasted to my first fish (pic 2). The third pic is the result of the Saturday's effort. It was a really great time.:smile2:

Attached Files:

5. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Too bad Conan isn't on line now. He's probably going through therapy now that Dallas got whipped. Stats said they sould have won the game. Guess Jessica is too much for Romo:crazy:

6. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Brad, I'd be happy to go. Jimmy, if for some reason you don't have the girls, you are welcome also. Don't know about the weather yet. I'll give you a buzz.

7. 12pack

12pack New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    One thing’s for certain – I can only do better. It was a really good trip though, and a great way to start the year in catfishing. As for this weekend, I’m out as Allie’s 18th birthday is Saturday, and I’ll be conducting our first soccer practice for the spring season as well.

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana

I'll have to take you up on that one!:big_smile:

9. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, Yes, I am still bit bit peaved about the Cowboys' loss on Sunday. I haven't been online since for fear of getting ragged about and my fears were well-founded!!!

Actually have just been extremely busy. Had a visit from the companies Regional manager Wednesday. Went GREAT!! Got rated a Top 3 store in the area (about 70 stores total). Had pictures taken of a few things he really liked in my store, that ended up in the hands of the area manager who is in charge of all of Texas. Those pics then got sent to all of the Texas region with a declaration that he wanted this results in all his stores :)

Regional Manager told me he had a heard a rumor that I was offered another job. He told me that I wasn't going anywhere because he wasn't going to let me go. Great leverage for me when it comes time for my annual raise :)

Other than that, just been working out like a beast!! Got down to 152 lbs, but now back on a muscle gain cycle. Wednesday's cardio workout was me pushing my wifes car 150 feet, taking a 60 second rest, repeating, 4 times!! Was pretty intense!!!

10. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Denny, question for you, what size and type weights do y'all use in the big river??????

11. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Katfishin:
    We typically use 3 to 4 oz bank sinker above swivel, then ~18 inch leader, then 3/0 hook. Then the water is really high, you may need a little more weight to keep the bait down. We let the sinker slide up and down the line, stopped by the swivel. We used to use egg sinkers but I believe the bank ones are less likely to roll along the bottom. This rig is for fishing with worms. If we are trying for larger fish with cut bait, we'll use a larger hook and may have 8* oz to keep it down. "Slicker" seems to be the best. The real name is skipjack herring. It's kinda hard to get. I've used pogies and frozen sardines (@ academy) with some success also. We almost always fish with worms. You can still catch an occasional larger one which is lots of fun. Anything over about 8lb or so we release since we usually have plenty to eat. I have to admit, if the fishing is pretty slow on a day, the slot limit grows a little! Where about do you fish?

12. 12pack

12pack New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    so I guess that means Brad & you blew off going today. Can't say I blame you.

:sad_2a:

13. Katfishing Cajun

State:
    Louisiana
    I've been fishing Spanish lake and around the basin. But were fixing to start fishing the Atchafalaya river. There some giants and no one to go after them! We figure someone has to!LOL Thanks for the help. There's a bait shop for the craw-fishermen that sell gizzard and slickers(which I'm waiting on slicker's to stock up on)right down the road for really nothing. Thanks again Denny!!:big_smile::big_smile:

14. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Katfishin
    Would appreciate you letting us know when the slicker is available and where you get it.:roll_eyes:
    I bet you can get some bigguns down there. Be sure and post em.

15. Katfishing Cajun

State:
    Louisiana
    You got it Denny, I'll check Monday to see if they started coming in yet!:cool2:

16. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    We had a great day fishing today. We got held up for about an hour due to a barge in our way to launch, but other than that it was really fun. Weather started out at about freezing but the wind was not too bad so once we stopped, it was quite comfortable fishing. Brad and Matt, both LSU Vet students went out. Brad is an old timer without a lot of time to fish and this was Matt's first try with us on the river. We ended up with 51 fish weighing a total of 105 lb. The bite was pretty strong for the 4 hours we fished. We had 2 that weighed 4.5 lb and all were good eater size. Attached are a few pics from the trip.:smile2:

Attached Files:

17. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    OK, first of all, that pic of Brad kissing a catfish just confirmed my suspicions of his Vet schooling!!! All those speeches of the catfishes reproductive system come to mind!!!!

And his buddy, oh come on, he isn't even out of High School yet, which confirms my other sick, disturbed, suspicions of Brad!!!! Dang Arkansas!!!

18. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    We're gonna give it another shot in the morning. The river has risen about 4 ft in the last week. We're hoping for another good day.:smile2:

19. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Jimmy and I went out this morning. The water is about 4 foot higher than last week. We didn't do squat:sad2:. We caught 5 keepers and were so disappointed, let them go to get bigger. The water was pretty muddy and the current was pretty fast. We had lots of bites on tiny fish. We caught a bunch, but they were just stealing the bait. Better luck next time!
    :byebye:

20. 12pack

12pack New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Denny, I checked out the Red River posts, and Shreveport Mike says,
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69097

What the heck is he talkin' about?