Mississippi River - I'm about ready to throw in the towel!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Apr 21, 2007.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I was out on the Mississippi today and the Missouri yesterday for about 8 hours on both days and the only thing I brought home was a darn sunburn!:crazy: :angry: :crazy: :angry:

I spoke to several other people out there fishin and from what I heard from them, no one is catchin any fish...I tried the deep holes, the bank shallows, the main channel, a couple sloughs, even the honey holes were "ICE COLD"...not so much as even a lousy bite! So far this year I have struck out every outing, EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I was getting so frustrated out there I was actually talking about selling ALL my gear, the boat, EVERYTHING!!! I just need to catch a fish to restore the drive and motivation....maybe my expectations were to high after reading the post that Cuz left about the blues being in the shallow water...the water temp out there today was 54-56

Oh well, my daughter and my buddy's little boy certainly had fun rounding up the shad after we caught them in the throw net...I just hope these stubborn @$$ fish start eatin when I'm out there throwin food at 'em cause they sure are making me crazy:crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Hang in there, I have had lots of bad days fishing but I don't get frustrated by it. I just enjoy being out there where its quiet and nobody around. Relax a little bit it won't be long and those fish will start biting.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    The water temp. beign 54-56 had alot to do with it especially if you were fishing in shallower water. But, you said the kids had a fun time fishing so I don't think you can call that a wasted trip.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Trust me when I say I know and understand your frustration. Last year as far as catching fish is concerned I was miserable. Man I couldn't even buy a bite and that was the whole dadburned season. Got to think positive!!! The kiddies had fun catchin bait so it wasn't an altogether wasted day. Things will get better!! Sister Pat:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dang Bill, sorry to hear about the crappy bite. Mr T was saying the river levels are rapidly receeding. I've always heard/found that equates to absolutely terrible fishing. When we hit the fish hard last week the river was on a steady rise. I caught all my fish on the main channel in 65 feet of water. We hit 13 fish (about 250 pounds worth) and that bite was from 8 at night to Midnight. My buddy hit em hard again 3 days ago, with several big fish. That bite was early evening and night time also. I dont know whats goin on with our rivers. I'll be out there on the 30th-5th so hopefully I can figure something out. I do know the fish are there, they just wont eat. Dont sound like I'm missing too much afterall. Dont give up though. They will bite soon.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    To me catchinf fish is nice ,but I enjoy being out an the water relaxing even if the fish are being over friendly. Look around you and just enjoy nature. Lots of people aren't able to that.So don't be too hard on yourself,you've got lots of company in the same boat.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nice Post John. You are correct. Enjoying a fishing trip isnt always about catching fish. I, too, get wrapped around the axel sometimes too when I get a good skunking. Thanks for the enlightenment. :confused2:

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks for the positive feedback everybody...I still had a great time...you all know how it feels when you're out there for hours, changing your bait and your location and no matter what or how you present the food, they WILL NOT bite...

I guess I put a little more pressure on myself than I normally do cause I took a friend of mine that has never been out on the river fishing before and I talked it up real big and REALLY REALLY wanted to get into some good fishin'...In some way I guess I feel like I let him and his boy down...even though I have no control over those fish, which I wish I could change:big_smile:, I absolutely love this sport / hobbie and I love to share it with people, I love to get new people involved in the pursuit of these awesome fish...cause when you get hooked on something you care, and when you care you conserve, and that's part of what we do...the conservation of these fish by practicing catch and release so they can grow and make more fish!!!

I will definitely be out there again because THEY (the fish :big_smile: ) have HOOKED ME!!!:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yep, I know ALL to well how it feels. :embarassed:

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
  11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    The last few trips have yielded "ZIP" for me but persistance finally paid off. We went out yesterday afternoon and managed a 29 & a 42. It probably helped though that I had some fresh skipjack for bait.

You'll get 'em. Just consider that the weather has been weird and water conditions have been "less than desireable."

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Just got back from Mark Twain Lake, and they are dropping that lake level pretty fast, about a foot over last night. We went down the the re-regulation dam and were snagging 16" shad every cast, and man,the water is rolling out of that thing fast. I don't know what effect it will have on the Mississippi, but I hope it stabilizes soon. Down here, you can't even find any bank to fish from.

13. fabius_river_rat

fabius_river_rat New Member

State:
    Northeast Missouri
    We fished (my wife and I) about 6 hours yesterday without a bite about 2 miles upstream of the Missis on the Fabius. Caught a heck of a sunburn though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:oooh:

14. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm right there with you, Bill. Even after your "Intel" report on Sat I opted to put in at Weldon and give her a try. I found bait fairly easy so I was excited that the fishing might have been on. NOT the case. I went four hours without so much as a bite.

After that I decided to reel in the lines and do a little "fishing" with my sonar. I found and marked a few spots to try when the bite is back on. All in all I had fun though. I saw lots a nature (birds, deer...) and a TREMENDOUS amount of snakes. Ohh ya folks the snakes are out in force so be careful.

Dan

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Verrrrrryyyy Interesting. Dan, I was looking at your fish and your avatar photo. You wouldnt happen to be fishing right next to the Towers there immediately up stream from the chain of rocks would you? I didnt know there was a little hole there. :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmmmm....what is this chain of rocks you speak about CUZ? :big_smile:

Yup, you guessed it. I like to fish that particular stretch of river at night (5pm to 5am or so). That fish was from late last August at about 830 or 900 at night.

Only problem is that I have one hell of a time finding a fishing partner willing to fish through the night anymore and my wife doesn't like me to fish alone on the river. I've done it a few times telling her I was fishing with my friend "Bill" (imaginary). It worked out OK but I know safety-wise that she is correct.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm in same boat. Hard to find folks to fish night time. Wife dont like it either when I'm outa there alone, but a man has to fish. I've been fishing some with Gary from Festus and hes hard core so I'm betting I'll be doing alot more night fishing this year. :big_smile: I'd be willing to come up and fish with you a few times this summer too. I'm only one hour away. Have you tried fishing the 90 foot hole upstream from the dam where the old bridge use to be? There has been some real pigs come out of that hole. Also, across the river from where the Missouri dumps in you will notice a long rock revetment that extends for a half mile or so. Its below the barge tie off docks. This area is slightly north of the entrance of the diversion canal. I've caught some real nice blues on that stretch. Theres always some current right there, and the channel is close which helps. Dont be afraid to fish all the barges their at the bend in the river. A fellow might find some real pigs lying under those barges. :roll_eyes:

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey Dan and Cuz, now that we know each one of us has a problem finding a fishin partner to stay out all night, we need to get together this summer and go fishin!!! I'm right there with ya!!! I cant seem to talk my buddies into staying out all night so it seems its time to make new ones:big_smile: :big_smile: Now the only question is....whos boat are we taking? If I remember correctly, Cuz has the "Big Daddy" and Dan has an 18 foot Lund and I got the 20 ftr, seems we've got the boat situation covered!!

When you're ready to go fishin and need a partner...PM me and leave me your number and I'll go out there with either one of ya! Just let me know!

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Your right, no one is catching any fish, nor will they ever.
    I don't blame you, sell it all as soon as possible, sell it cheap too, to get rid of it quicker. Now, what was it you said you had to sell? LOL

20. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Kutter, I would suggest you be careful when attempting to purchase goods from someone whose occupation is described as "Jedi Knight!" :big_smile:

There might be "unusual" happenings, where you end up paying twice it's value.

I'm sorry ... this just really struck me as funny. Can you imagine the jokes that could be told based upon a group of us fishing together?? It would go something like ...

"There was a Maintenance Mechanic, an Airline Pilot, an Analyst, a Jedi Knight, and a Preacher out in a boat fishing..." :big_smile: :big_smile: