Mississippi River ice out fishing

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by tmbragg67, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I keep telling myself the river will open up in just a few weeks, right? I fish the tailwaters of L&D 12 (Bellevue), but haven't figured out the early bite yet. I've read and been told to look for channels in the shallows feeding on dead shad. I'm assuming cut bait fished in shallows of the backwaters is the ticket, right? Or are we talking up against the bank on the main channel?

Anybody care to share some advice? Thanks
    t

2. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    In March and early April i fish in 2-5 foot of water just off of the main channel. The bigger fish usually bite better early morning and late afternoon. They also like to stick around the mouths of creeks. Usually theres alot of water flowing out of the creeks around this time. Which carries dead fish and crawdads into the mouths of the creeks for fish to feed on. Ive found shad guts to work the best. But everyone has their own preferences.

3. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    well said calvin. i think i jumped the gun sunday. was a nice day and had plenty of shad guts to try . got the big goose egg around the quad cities , but i think a little early and wishful thinking. now a cold front damnit!!

4. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'll try it out as soon as I get my boat down the ramp.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Looks like Calvin has answered your question. Good fishing.

6. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Mickey. I'm impressed by the amount of great information floating around the forums, and the friendliness of the participants.

Now if I can only get my 10 posts done so I can reply to private messages, open pix, etc. Kind of a pain in the butt, but I'll get there :)

7. Frydaddy28

Frydaddy28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish around Council bluffs , and hit some of my holes and caught five that tipped the scale around 1lb. LOL!!!! maybe try later today or sunday , its a little cold but i've been ice fishing all year. kinda new at the cold water cats!

8. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You're doing better than we are Mike. The Miss. river out front of town (Bellevue, IA) is still iced over, although looking really slushy. I've heard that it's open 20 miles south of us and it's open north of us so it should be just a few more days. Were you fishing close to shore, stream mouths, or in the deep holes?

9. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i would be out around davenport today. not so sure with the cold now though. river is slowly coming up and i dont know the temp.... got bait yesterday. let me try to put a couple pics on .... hell i dont know how!

10. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Game on boys!. it wasnt impressive, but i got 6 today with a buddy. all small. all on guts, all about 9ft of water. wasnt pretty, but by god, it has been a long winter. catfish for dinner tomorrow.