Mississippi River high at Thebes

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by TONTO, Jun 2, 2008.

1. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Tkeyhunter and I went to Thebes friday night. Guess if I was halfway smart would have checked the Mississippi river level before going. I have never seen it that high down there. It was almost up to the parking lot, had one heck of a time putting in. A big pile of sand had been pushed up into the ramp, could not put in the north side at all finally got in on the south side ramp. Okay finally in the river, a barge had just went by the wind was blowing like crazy, the waves were bad! The water was almost a dark chocolate it was so muddy, tons and tons of logs and debris. Well we did go on to a spot I know but there was nothing recognizable by land features. There was so much current and debris that my depth finder would hardly work. We got down there about 5pm because we were going to fish that night . We quickly decided against that, we did fish for awhile but did not expect nor did we have any luck. Ended up pulling out before dark and heading home. One good thing did happen BethAnn and I decided whenever we fish the Mississippi we will always wear our life jackets!! It is just too dangerous.

2. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Sounds like you were very courageous to put in at all! I fish the Vermilion River in northern Illinois and right now it is much as you describe - strong current, muddy and tons of debris and I wouldn't dare put in right now, especially with logs and such floating down.

3. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Brian as high as gas is we had to give it a try after driving all the way there. I admit to having more than second thoughts about going out.

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i was on the miss yesterday. it wasnt so bad from alton to stl. the current was pretty heavy but we found that we could anchor up easily when getting behind parked barges. the wake from the moving barges made for a bumpy ride, and i got skunked to boot!