Mississippi River help

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Cat Man Joe, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here I am, asking more questions everyone. I took the wife and kids to the Illinois river at Kampsville this weekend, both Sat. and Sun. with no luck. Sat. we fished about 7 1/2 hours and caught 1 channel about 3 pounds and a gar. Sun we were out about 5 hours and didnt catch anything. Only had one little bite all day and night. I'm not too impressed with the river right there. I know it may have been just a bad weekend but Id like to do better than that. Im thinking of taking everyone to the mississippi this next weekend in hopes of catching more fish and bigger fish. I looked at my map and Im thinking of trying just west of Kampsville near Belleview and Mozier at the Calhoun Co. conservation area not far from lock & dam #24.. Is anyone familiar with this area? If so is there plenty of bank fishing to make it worth the drive? It'll be about an hour drive for us. Has anyone had any luck here? Should I even try it there or is there a better spot to fish on that river? Alton really isnt that much farther for me. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!!!

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Unfortunately Alton doesn't have much in the way of bank fishing.. You can fish below the dam but you lose alot of tackle getting hung up in the rocks.. Wish I could be of more help..

3. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Hey Joe...you can fish at RipRap Landing. Go toward Mozier from Kampsville. At stop sign turn right. Go thru Mozier until you come to the sign for RipRap and turn left. Follow road to river. You are about 6 miles south of the Clarksville Dam. Get bait in Kampsville before you go. Good luck!:wink:

4. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :smile2:Holy Cow.havent thought of there in 30 years.Used to be a great spot for everything.I used to go there every weekend with the Clendenney boys and hunt all day, party half the night, and fish at the landing till the sun came up.Then do it again.Great skinny diping and fishing lots of sand.Kev is there still a place called Alices Palace it was a bar that had music and girls every Sat.There was a old cop by the name of Oney in Pleasant Hill at the time.Great memorys were brought back when i read this post,but back to the fishing.Good Luck John(Ole Bullhead)Hagen

5. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    riprap is a good place to fish, my dad used to run the pump station right there, and me and a friend used to fish back waters that line the way before you get to the river, lots of turtles and bullheads. fishing was pretty good though I haven't been down there for a couple of years since my dad passed away.

6. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Bullhead...the Palace is alive and well. They also built a resturaunt on the corner at Mozier. Still lots of sand.:big_smile:

7. midnightblues

midnightblues New Member

State:
    illionis
    not sure if u are familiar with hartford area.. but me and my buddy aslways fish buy the hartford canal we always catch fish even when the water is way down.. i caught a 42 pound blue a few weeks ago.. if u would like directions let me know i am down there every weekend.. hopefully i wont soon getting a boat..

8. gillage

gillage New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey midnightblues is the Hartford canal the Cahkia diversion channel that is just south of Hartford?

9. midnightblues

midnightblues New Member

State:
    illionis
    not sure its wear all the barges come through, they can really mess your fishing up at times.. but most peopel look at it and cant belive the fish i catch there but u always catch fish.. its a great little spot..

10. midnightblues

midnightblues New Member

State:
    illionis
    if u need directions to get ther ejust let me know i will be more than happy yo give them to u..

11. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Hey Joe...My son talked to some guys he works with. They fished the Clarksville Dam last week and caught 80# in 6 hours. They fished from the rocks on the east end of the dam. 3 way swivel so that the sinker would break off if hung up. Caught them on shad. We're going tomorrow morn. We'll see!!!:wink:

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Boy Alices Palace sure does bring back a lot of old memerioes:roll_eyes:.Some I'd rather not mention.You all are talking about my ol stomping grounds growing up.Thanks for the thoughts.

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane

I am familiar with the Hartford/Woodriver area and would appreciate directions to the spot you are talking about. Thanks.

14. midnightblues

midnightblues New Member

State:
    illionis
    u drive past midwest motor sports, not the light infront of midwest motor sports but the next light u make a right..then once u have made that right u make another right... then follow the rock road andtil it ends u will come to a big rock parking lot... i usally walk around 100 yards to the left.. but i have also caught sopme 30 pounder to the right.. just make sure u get ther alittle early i have noticed that alot more people are comming down there.. i remember when me and my buddy would set down there for years by ourselves.. well i hope i helped and good luck..

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Shane

So if you are going left from the parking lot, you are actually fishing in the canal and calmer water as opposed to going right where the current is a bit stronger. Thanks again.

16. midnightblues

midnightblues New Member

State:
    illionis
    u got it i know it sounds wierd, u would think fishing the stronger current would be better but i have caught my big fish in the dead water.. pretty much u will catch fish anywear in there.. just be ready for your poll to take off, they grab and go but they dont hold on i have missed alot of zingers because i was not ready..

17. blzfan1963

blzfan1963 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just to add to that. Ive done pretty well there under the rt3 bridge where all of the timber stacks up around the bridge pillars...Just have to use extra heavy line to pull them out away from it before they get in there to deep..Good luck