Mississippi River - Help me find some fish please

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jun 13, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks to anyone who might help me break this run of no luck. I have put in at least 30 hours fishing from the bank of the Mississippi this last week and caught only 1 channel and some gar. Have used live Bluegill, cut shad, nightcrawlers.

I am picking up my new boat today (yeah!) and will make my maiden voyage this Sunday out of Lock and Dam 25 in Winfield.

Where can I find active fish during the spawn? Tailrace, dikes, holes?

I must catch fish Sunday to justify this new boat. LOL:lol:

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Darryl I hope you do have luck with your maiden voyage on Sunday, but don't get discouraged if you don't. I have spent COUNTLESS hours on the river this year so far and have had very limited success...It has been kind of a crazy year as far as the fishing goes.

If all you want to do is land a fish, I would take some nightcrawlers and go after the dinks, otherwise I would get yourself a throw net and go after some shad and use them for bait.

I have had some luck catching the blues in about 20-25 foot of water, use your graph and look for changes on the river bottom. Such as the "wash-board" on the river bottom. Also fish where there are rocks visible on the river banks, the blues tend to hang out in the swifter current, rip-rap behind wing dykes and such.

Being your maiden voyage and all, you may just want to go out and play with your new boat, learn all the in's and outs of it so to speak. I know you'll have a ball, but remember that if you're new to boating the river, go slow and look for the changes on the water surface, it will tell you alot about what is hidden underneath. There are alot of "hidden" structures and such, and with the water levels being still alittle high, the sandbars may still be under water, but they may only be a foot under water, you sure don't want to be screamin along and suddenly "beach" you brand new boat!!

I am happy for ya and I know you'll have years of fun on that boat, I love mine and can't wait to get out on it later tonight!!

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Darryl--from the looks of it Bill has done you right with advice.

I would do like he said. Just get out and get a feel for your new boat. Take it slow and get a feel for it and the river. Bring along a few worms and stop at the 1st wing dam down river from the 270 bridge--duck in behind there and pull out a few channels to pop the cherry on that thing.

Good luck and BE SAFE!!

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dan I think you must be lost. :big_smile:

I am putting in at Winfield, Lock and Dam 25.

That's a loooooooooong way from 270, right?

5. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good Luck with the new boat. You might want to read the manual on breaking in your engine. Some you have to, some you dont have to. WIth one of my partners, we had to run 5 or 6 hours at certain rpms before we could take it to wide open.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Vince, I got the full scoop on the rpm limitaions for the first ten hours.

Also have to mix the gas during break-in which doubles my oil ratio. Shouldn't have to worry about the skeeters at least, with all the smoke.

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    good luck on your first outing with your boat keep us posted on how things went

8. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Whoops....you are correct sir.

I was thinking you were putting in just below Price dam.

Still--I'm sure any wing dam you pull in behind is liable to have a few channels.

Let us know how you do!

Dan

9. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Daryl-
    I hope the fishing meets your expectations but I wouldn't sell the boat before at least two trips! We've had exceptional luck well south of you in Baton Rouge this year. We don't have any wing dams in the area, so we rely on the inside of sharp bends. Typically an eddy will be there where at the corner. For us, near where the eddy meets the main channel gets fairly deep and typically we see lots of action. We may be anchored in 50 ft and fishing in 70-80 ft. Make sure you get a good anchor (or two). It's really easy to get one hung up and you may even have to cut it off. That isn't fun early in the day if you only have one. Best of luck to you and please let us know how you do:lol: