Mississippi River @ Grafton and Alton, Sunday 11/25/07

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Flyingpig, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Just one last check of things before we head out in the morning. 4 o'clock is going to come way too early, but we have a two and a half hour drive and I'm hoping to be put in when the sun comes up Sunday morning.

Has had any luck this week between Grafton and Alton area on the Mississippi?

If you see a truck with the Gateway Cats logo in the back glass, around Piasa Creek, it probably will be us...

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I was out there today. We caught all the shad we needed at the power plant. We fished 3 different holes, and caught one fish at each. They were only about 4 lbs. a piece though. I did talk to a couple other guys that had better luck. We caught our fish on shad gut pockets.
    Your truck isn't a silver Ford Ranger is it?

3. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Nope... it's a Maroon and Silver F-150.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    What Gateway Cats logo? How did you get one in your back window?

Did I miss something?

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks a million for your enthusiasm Charles. However, the LOGO that was unveiled before Thanksgiving HAS to have some changes made to it. We have to redraw the fish do to some similarities with a Trademarked Logo. I hope you understand. Thats why I had the entire LOGO Thread yanked. Hope you havnt gone through any major expense for the logo yet. I tried to get the word out, but I knew I wouldnt reach everyone.

Tight Lines Fishing. Hope you find some fish. By the sounds of things, the fish are pretty scattered right now, which is a little unusual this time of year.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks for the update on the Logo Cuz. Was wondering why I couldn't find it
    on here anymore.

7. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Cuz, thanks for the update...
    Had it printed out, but didn't get a chance to put it in the window, so no harm done. Just got rid of it.

Todays trip to the Mississippi River today has turned into a really big bust.
    Almost everything that could go wrong did...and it just seemed to be getting worse as the morning went on.
    It all began as we went to put the boat in at Piasa Creek Access and someone forgot to put the drain plug in the boat...
    Sure didn't take long to have a new lagoon in the back of the boat. Sure comes in faster than it goes out.

This was just the beginning of a few more inconveniences we would be soon encountering this fine morning.
    Now that we got all the water drained out of the boat, and of course made sure the drain plug was properly installed,
    we thought we were all set to get out on the water...Let me stand corrected on this notion...
    This was just not going to happen today. Some other higher power had already decided that today we were not going to get this miraculous feat accomplished, at least not today.

Thinking of course that we are now going to start the boat motor, we soon found out, that it had no fire,
    (it's ran great all week, but no, not today. Today it decided it wasn’t going to start).
    We were getting ready to pull the spark plugs, so I decided to go grab the toolbox from the front of the boat where I always keep it.
    Guess what? I had it out yesterday making sure I had everything in it for the trip, and come to find out I forgot to put it back in the boat...

Finally after doing a thorough search of the truck we were able scrounge up a pair of pliers a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench that was no longer adjustable.

With these fine tools we were able to remove the spark plugs and pull the fuel line to make sure they were working properly.
    I soon figured out that...YES...we do have a spark...Got Zapped really good trying to check the plugs.
    Now we had the fuel flowing good too, but the spark plugs seemed a little wet when we pulled them out, so we dried and cleaned them,
    and with the help of a little bit of starting fluid...we now had the motor running like a champ.

Needless to say, this running motor thing only lasted a whole fifteen minutes, running great the entire time. Idled good, revved up like it should...we thought we were good to go...
    Nope, I was wrong again…The motor died as we were getting ready to head out of the cove next to Piasa Harbor, and now it didn't want to run unless it had some starting fluid to help it along.
    From past experiences with carburetors I knew exactly what had happened and it's not hard to fix, but being as someone forgot to load the tools, we where now pretty well up the creek with out a paddle,
    on cleaning the carburetor.

As we limped the boat back to the launch, we were able to get it back on the trailer and quickly, come to the conclusion that this fishing trip just wasn't going to happen today.
    Of course it was thirty-four degrees and raining the entire time we where having these problems too.

We did come to another conclusion though...We will be back when it warms up, and we really liked the food in Grafton where we had lunch.

Even though it took us two and a half hours to get to Grafton, we had a really good trip down to see the Mississippi River.
    Knock on wood, at least the truck didn't break down and we didn't have a flat on the trailer...So I guess the day wasn't all bad.

Just wished it been a little better than it was.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sorry for all your troubles buddy. We have all been there and done that. I remember last year racing to the river to chase after the kittys during a hot bite and forgetting my fishing rods. :eek:oooh: Took me an hour to go back and get them, and make it back to the ramp. No worries. You'll get em next time out.

9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Man, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. At least you weren't out into the BIG river when the engine decided to give out. That's a long haul for you too. To not even get to wet your lines. If I would have known, I would have been happy to bring my boat out and get you guys out on the water. Again, sorry for your troubles.... The bite will be better next time anyways.:wink:

10. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Thanks Dan, I was really glad too we didn't make it out of the cove.
    and I know we will be back down when the weather warms up.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Or back down for LeadStock :wink:

12. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I'm still planning on being there for Leadstock...I think I'm up to around
    30 lbs of Lead so far.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    As time draws closer Charles, i'll post directions for you. You can probably come in on the 255 By Pass and you wont have to go through Saint Louis. Looking forward to meeting you.

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Charles, once it gets warm again, I'll be glad to meet you at Piasa Creek and show you where I usually found the kitty's and bait up there.. better luck next time..