Mississippi River - Going out to L/D 25 tomorrow

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, May 11, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Hey all. With the MO river being a mess right now, I was thinking of holding off for a week before I got out. I event talked myself out of going with a BOC brother. However, I have had the itch so bad since yesterday night (thinking of fishing for 1 hour as I could not sleep) that I looked at the Miss river water levels on the web and found that the river is stable and dropping slowly. I am therefore going to try Crevier and Lock 24 to see that I can find. I will let you all know how it goes. It is far enough north of the confluence that it is fishable.

Drove over the MO river today, you could have almost walked from shore to shore on the tops of huge logs floating along. Most of the junk is gone now, but the water is very high and ready to crest tonight.

Be safe all, I will let you know how I do. Tight Lines!

CP

2. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Oups, I meant L/D 25.

CP

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    So how was the fishing, Chris? Hopefully you caught a few.

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Hey DWB, I left you a message to see if you could go with. I changed my mind on Thursday night after I saw on-line that all the flooding and trash was within 2 miles of the confluence. North of that, the MISS is stable, clear, and perfect for fishing. That is one good thing about living in St Louis, you have 3 rives that merge (Miss, MO, IL) and you can keep going north depending on if there was bad rains anywhere west or east.

So, my report...
    BAIT PHASE - I started out at noon and stopped along the way to see if I could catch some blue gills in the ditches on the way. That was a miserable and muddy failure. Always a nice thing to cover your shoes in dirt before you step into your clean boat. More on that in a bit… Anyhow, I launched the boat at 1:00 and headed below the Lock to find skipjack and/or shad. I have never tried to catch these before, but I read a lot on the BOC about it and felt ready to try.

I learned two things about bait fishing yesterday: 1) Shad CAN be caught by persons with deficient hand/net/eye coordination, and 2) Chris Palombo CAN'T throw a net to save his life. So, I out in 1 hour, but did OK. I now have a big bag of hard won shad in the freezer, and a deep sense of insecurity at knowing that my arms flail helplessly when handling a cast net. If I were born an Amazon pigmy, I would surely have starved to death.

EXPERIMENTAL PHASE – (Warning, I know what I am about to say will turn off a few people, but I assure you that I release my fish, really.) Anyhow, I wanted to try out using a trot line. These were illegal in Michigan, so I though... "Heck, it looks like it is a safe and guaranteed way to have fun." I was incorrect. I now see that my two hour stint with trot lining is the singe most risky event I have voluntarily participated in. 50 feet of strong line, chemically sharpened hooks, wild current, and one lone fool in a boat equals two hours of indiscriminate danger. Oh, I failed to mention that 1 hour of this madness was in the dark. Long and short is that I have three nice trot lines that I will never use again. Perhaps I will put a 150 foot shower in my basement and use them as the curtain holder.

FISHING PHASE - This was the first time I went cat fishing that I actually felt like I knew what I was doing before hand (that has taken 2 years of BOC reading and some pretty slow days on the river for that to happen). I found some great spots, knew how to fish them, and did OK. I caught a 7 lb flathead (my PERSONAL BEST!), missed two very large fish, got a big drum, and caught several smaller cats (I think these are called "fiddlers"???). Further, everyone that I talked to in that area said that they were doing well. Heck, a guy on the shore below a bridge had caught two 12 lb cats and several smaller ones! One other interesting note, I saw only about 12 other boats that were cat fisherman. The river was basically empty.

CLEANUP PHASE - I am a firm believer in clean gear. This is a problem at times as cat fishing is so very dirty. Mud, bio waste, etc. So, I left my on-board lights on as I gave the boat a repeated "bucketing" of river water to clean up my failed bluegill fishing mud. Having run for hours, the light bulb had become white hot.... At some point in the effort, I leaned over the bow and put my hand over my front light to brace my lean. So hot in fact that I heard a sizzle when I laid my hapless ring finger across it. I now have a huge blister and memento for my fishing.

DRUNK LUNITIC PHASE - One other note.. 1 hour before I landed for the night, cops had to whoop some drunken fool at the landing for driving his boat AND 6 CHILDREN around the river on a tube. The tube line snagged the engine and blew the tube throwing the kid. After the fool cleared up the mess, he ran the boat, at 25 miles per hour, up onto land. It flew through the air near a small group of cat fisherman. The boat, the drunk, and the 6 kids inside cleared the bank and landed in the grass, boat engine still running. No one was killed, thank God. After the cops handcuffed him and put him in the squad car, the moron open the door with some crafty drunken ninja move, got out, and charged a state trooper. He intended to use the point of his hairline as a battering ram. That is not a great "weapon" to use against a cop, particularly when you are seeing double. More on that as I hear it.

FINAL TALLY -

Catfish - 2 Points
    Shad - 0 Points
    Bluegill - 24 Points
    Shoes - Muddy
    Drum - 0
    Chris - 12 Points, plus "trott line hazard pay" of an additional 3 Points.
    Fish – 26, Chirs – 15. I am catching up on them.
    CP

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Funny stuff, Chris. Thanks for the good post. It sounds like all in all it was not a bad day on the river. Congrats on the new personal best wrt the flathead.

I hope they take that fools kids away from him. Never the less sounds like and interesting site to see. It must have been like watching the TV show cops in real life. Let me guess, this guy was shirtless?

Yes, trot lines can be dangerous and are MUCH better utilized with a partner. They can be fun at times as well. It is all a matter of experience.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey Chris...where do launch your boat at up there in Winfield? I drove up there today, Sunday May 13th, and only found one ramp near the dam and it was in rather poor condition! I was near the Winfield ferry off of Hwy 79... The river looked to be a little high but not to bad...no debris in the water either! hopefully the fish will turn on really soon!

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh yeah!!! Congrats on the P.B flathead!! I can tell you that you're doing alot better than I am so far this year!!! I have yet been able to put a catfish in the boat:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Congrads on your PB flatty.Sounds like your learning the do's/dont's of river fishing pretty quick.Trout lines can be good if done right. Kind of rough to do by yourself.You was in a good area up around Winfield.Just hang in there.

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    That was a great read, Chris -- I was definitely laughing at that one. That bit about the cast net and flailing limbs was a great mental picture, and the starving pigmies took it to the next level. ;) I think a Water Patrol episode of Cops is in order. And nice job on the fish! That's definitely better than I've done all year (so far).

10. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    River Rat asked - Hey Chris...where do launch your boat at up there in Winfield?

Maybe I got Winfield wrong, it may be Wentzville??? North of O Fallon anyhow. Still learning my Missouri metropolises (maybe it is metropoli in the plural???).

There are several spots you can launch. Interestingly, the MO Dept of Conservation map has about 50% more spots than are actually found in real life. That was fun to learn while dragging my 20 foot boat down flooded two-tracks. "Should be up here some place???" Thanks State of MO map drawing guy who took the Devry Map making-by-crayon class before being hired by the state!

I launch at Quiver Creek (not actually "Quiver", the creek is spelled on a map in the Fraauuunch with something like one "C", two "I's" and fifteen "R's"). Ready, Ciet, Cierrendierrr!

You want to be 6 miles south of Lock 25. It is public use, free, dusty road. They even have a paid welcome team there at the launch site to cheer for you and give you ice water (kidding on the welcome team, but there is a guy named Earl that fishes there all the time and he will take your rope if you ask him nice).

A final note... Don't touch Earl's dog Merl. The dog sure can spring to life when he sees an unwelcome hand.

CP

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    What road is it that you turn down? Is there a sign on Hwy 79 that tells me when to turn? Just curious...I might try fishing up there some time! Oh yeah it is Winfield, Wentzville is west on I-70!

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    79 to Dalbow Road to MDC Cuiver Island Access. Gravel ramp, recommend 4X.

13. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Yes, this I can be more specific. The road is called "Dalbow". Go north on 79 and take a right on Dalbow.

Another interesting MO Department of Conservation mapping fun fact…. They have named the road "Palbow" in their crayon-on-watercolor artwork titled “Official Map of MO Recreation Areas – Free to the Public”. In this age of postmodern thought where all realities are right, and there is no absolute truth... the evening-class trained map maker’s reality embraces 4 extra boat launches between O Fallon and Hannibal, and favors “P’s” at the start of all road names.

When you launch, run 2 miles southeast to Criminal island. Stay to the right (MO side of the river) to find some really deep 40 ft holes. Bait is back up 6 miles to the Dam- 100 yards to the Southeast of the Dam under the "Danger, Do Not Go Past This Sign" sign. There is a great "motor up" restaurant just south of the dam about 1/4 of a mile. Great oasis for those of us that accidentally pack a single 12oz can of coke to nourish us for a full 9 hour fishing event in 85 degree weather. I would have been willing to pay $5.00 each for those 12 glasses of ice water. Thank you, sweet restaurant lady.

CP