The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I look for when targeting flatheads on the Mississippi? Spent some time in deep holes and brush piles in the backwaters but struck out. Maybe more time on the main channel or main channel edges? Below wing dams? Also what time of day or night to fish certain locations? Where should we start. Pool 10 in Wisconsin but I’m not sure that matters the Mississippi is a big river.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I have no idea but I am thinking that the main channel may not be the best place. I never have caught one. You have to pretty much be a complete Bad A to be a flathead fisherman. As in laughing at lost tackle and lost fish meanwhile fishing the heaviest nastiest underwater cover (fallen trees, rip rap, etc) in some of the most treacherous water.....and sometimes at night.
so again...I know nothing but I would focus on eddies, sloughs, washouts, creeks...anywhere that may look like a prime ambush spot for a big hungry flathead.
and boat control can get really frustrating having lines out and trying to keep the boat from spinning jacking up all of your lines.
so bottom line is BE SAFE but HAVE FUN

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,266 Posts
Well sort of Westley. I only have limited experience on my small river compared to the Mississippi. What I have noticed is that flatheads typically do not like current like blues. They are more apt to sit in the current breaks along a ledge or behind brush and rootballs at the bottom of a ledge. I graph a lot and sometimes they may be right behind the cover and sometimes they may be 200yards around a bend in a feeder creek deep hole. And I have no idea where they go when the current is really ripping as I have not found them yet under those conditions. Flathead fishing is different game!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Well I have caught them on the main and in the side cuts too. They are on wing dams log jams and by the dams. When the ice goes out the back waters are full of northern and bait fish the water is warmer in the shallows. The flatheads will be in the back cut in high water as the water goes down they are every where. You just have to figure out what they want at the time you are fishing. Some times cut bait is best live bait is good to even whole dead fish at time like small shad or blue gills. I put in on the IOWA side at Guttenberg and have fish up there for over 45 years I am 67 now.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
that is what I was wondering if you had to have live bait at all times

Reactions: SteveMcK

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have caught them on the main and in the side cuts too. They are on wing dams log jams and by the dams. When the ice goes out the back waters are full of northern and bait fish the water is warmer in the shallows. The flatheads will be in the back cut in high water as the water goes down they are every where. You just have to figure out what they want at the time you are fishing. Some times cut bait is best live bait is good to even whole dead fish at time like small shad or blue gills. I put in on the IOWA side at Guttenberg and have fish up there for over 45 years I am 67 now.
I put in at prairie du chien! Thanks for your reply! Need all the help I can get

·
Registered
796 Posts
Check out the mouth of any stream too they can be a good spot to find them. I hope we do not get any bad floods this year and when it floods stay off the river! There will be to many trees and things floating down river. A few years ago we picked up 2 20ld propane tanks over half full. We were think about going out when we saw the tanks we got the tanks and went back home. I have a 16.7 Polar Craft bass boat with a 60hp it is a 82 we just redid the floor and all new carpet. My son want to polish it all up and he ordered a new strip and logo for the sides.

·
Registered
868 Posts
What should I look for when targeting flatheads on the Mississippi? Spent some time in deep holes and brush piles in the backwaters but struck out. Maybe more time on the main channel or main channel edges? Below wing dams? Also what time of day or night to fish certain locations? Where should we start. Pool 10 in Wisconsin but I’m not sure that matters the Mississippi is a big river.
I'm assuming you mean in the summer, because flatheads go dormant in the winter.

Tips of wingdams, there will be a hole on the tip where the current washes out when it goes around it, flatheads love to lay in those holes and eat easy food. Around any industry, barge tie-ups, loading areas, and scour holes from where barges pull over along shore. During the spawn in june, they will be up along cut banks and boulder/concrete riprap banks where they can find little holes. You've got a couple months yet to figure out places, they'll start feeding again up here around late april- first of May when that water hits 50ish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I fish the sip I always do good along the main edge ... especially if some feed barges have passed by ... I always strike out on the backwater but other do great in the backwater

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
867 Posts
I dont have any experience on big moe either. Ive seen pictures from a friends uncle who lives in Ark. He catches lots of nice flatheads from the bank. Mostly its a pattern hes developed though. He catches them at certain places during certain conditions. (time of year / river conditions)

The problem i find with flatheads is there liable to be anywhere at any given time. On the same day we have caught them in a 50' hole in the main river channel. And a lay down half way back in a creek.

There just as much at home laying in a hole in the current as they are hunting bream in the shallows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts