Mississippi River fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by Jug-or-not, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Jug-or-not

Jug-or-not New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey guys, I am new to the forum but I have really enjoyed reading some of the previous posts. I love fishing the river for catfish but I have not really targeted the BIG ones. After reading the posts here about it I think I am going to give it a shot. My biggest (by far) to date would be one close to 40lbs.

That said, do any of you catfisherman who fish the Mississippi River ever fish for white bass or stripers? They can be fun to catch if the conditions are right. What is your favorite lure/bait for bass or stripers?

Jug-or-not.

2. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Welcome to the BOC. Lots of great information and friendships to be found here.

I fish for white bass occasionally but usually catch them while fishin for skipjack. When I am targeting whites, I'll use a silver ratLtrap or a small Bandit crankbait. I've caught bunches and bunches on crappie jigs (fishin for skippies).

I've never targeted stripers but can only imagine that it's a blast. Where and how do you fish for stripers? What part of MS are you from?

3. Jug-or-not

Jug-or-not New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I am from Hernando which is just south of Memphis. I normally fish the river from Walls.

I use a chartruse or white bandit (the 200 series) when fishing for stripers....usually get a mix of white bass and stripers. Both are a blast to catch especially in the swirling current. I havn't been able to get them to bite the last couple of weeks but when they are hot it is fun.

When you use the skipjack for bait do you use them as cut bait or fish them live? If live, do you hook them close to the tail. Like I said I have never targeted the big mommas so I am trying to get as many tips as possible.

Jug

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Odds are good you won't be able to keep skips alive for more than a few minutes. Kinda like shad...when they hit the floor of the boat, they die. I use skips as cutbait and have been trying to use bigger and bigger pieces. I want to catch BIG fish. I usually catch few to no fish but I figure, as long as I'm not catching fish, might as well not be catching BIG fish. Up there where you are, there are some whoppers in the river. You should drown some big ol' chunks of bait and you just might be surprised at what you catch. If you've been watchin the other Mississippi threads, you already know what kind of fish the Memphis and Missouri guys catch. They're out there.

5. Charlesp54

Charlesp54 Active Member

State:
    Horn Lake, Ms
    Kevin, Welcome to the BOC. Hernando is where I was born and raised I live in Memphis now but I come down to my parents at least once a week.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    WELCOMEto the BOC brother Man a 40 lb catfish is Abig fish in any bodys book:still_dreaming:

7. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Hey Guys,

On the way home, decided to check my mail. had credits left over, so figured I`d say hey.

Congrats, M-a-DoubleT. Joe sent me a pic of a mighty nice fish! Man, he sure looked fun! Everybody onboard the Viking wanted to know how many filets you got off of him! LOL
    I couldnt properly explain!!!

Hope some of yall are catching fish today. Im drinking beer. Could be worse, though. I could be shooting seismic!!!!

See yall!!

Rebel

8. Jug-or-not

Jug-or-not New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Went down to Sardis Lower lake this weekend for several hours. The fish were biting very slowly. I came away with 4 fish totalling maybe 10lbs. Those and a few out of the freezer and I was able to treat the family to some good fried catfish. The water in the lower lake was WAY down from the previous week. I think I read that some work was being down on the spillway the previous week and they open the gates raising the water level the weekend of the 19th. Well....that water has run through now :-( and I think it messed the bite up. Lotsa turtles making meals outta my bait along with a few gar.

My favorite reel went kaput this weekend.:sad2: I have a Quantum Lite reel that I bought new in '86. The level wind mechanism started to "stutter' on the righthand side loading all my line on one side. When I would cast it would bird's nest badly everytime. I guess after 20yrs with no problems i shouldn't complain. Time for a new one. Anyone here have any ideas on enshrining a reel? Maybe a shadow box with a few lures and some fish pics? I can't make myself throw it away.:roll_eyes:

Guys, I need to get my post count up. I can't view everyone's pics nor send PM's until I get to 10.

Jug

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    If you want to stick with Quantum, their Iron series is really nice. Many of the 300 and 400 class reels work very well for cats (325, 330, 335, 435, to name a few).

Other than that, I'm a "Penn man" myself. I currently only have 209's (Hey, I'm kind of cheap) but I really like the GT series. Slimcat has like a dozen of those 320 GTI's (or they may be the GT2's) and he brings some of them every time he comes fishing with me. He doesn't realize how hard it is for me to sit there and watch him reel those beauties!! LOL

If I was going to buy a reel today and I had $50-$55 to spend, I would be on Ebay getting a Penn 220 GTO.

OK, I'm getting off the computer now, too much saliva is collecting on the keyboard :wink:

10. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Welcome to the BOC Brother, I live in Arkansas and fish the Mississippi whenever I can. The big ones are there, took me eight months to find one with the help of another BOC brother. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

11. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Welcome to the B.O.C. glad to have you along for the ride :big_smile:

12. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I like Dr.HOOK spinner baits or Fishermens outpost Arky Jigs