Mississippi River fishing Trip

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Catmaster, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I was wondering where the best place to catch big cats on the Mississippi in Missouri as far as more north or south. Where on the Mississippi are the bigger fish caught.
    I am thinking about going on a fishing trip somewhere on the River this summer. I just want the best results.

Oh ya! Are there any special boat regulations I have to follow for being out on the river? Thanx for any info

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Erik,

Certainly they catch some big ole cats up below Alton Dam around St. Louis. Also, one of the best places on the river, perhaps, is at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi. Lots of big fish are caught around there.

There's lots of potential just about everywhere up and down the Mississippi. Those two, though, are known big fish areas.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Find a deep hole or go above or below one of the damns and hold on!!!

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I would either fish the Melvin Price Lock and Dam in Alton, or Fish the Clarksville Dam at Clarksville, you can put your boat in at Louisiana MO. Otherwise if there are no dams, try to find a deep hole of water with alot of current. (pretty much anywhere south of St. Louis, from my experience.)

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    There is also a damn at Saverton.

6. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Eric,
    Are you familure with fishing below dams? The water below the dams I fish really comes ripping through there. There have been times I didn't feel real comfortable. Also, you have to be able to "read" how the water is moving. I am not very good at it yet. I've been below Winfield dam before catching nothing and seeing other guys pulling them in right and left. If you are used to fishing below dams no big deal. If not, you might want to go with someone who as done it before.