Mississippi river fishing at the meeman shelby boat ramp

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ChrisC.729, Feb 10, 2007.

1. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wanted to try fishing there since i got a map of where to go. Anybody know what kind of permits i need to get for my son(he's 14). oh ya. And is it sandy or all rocky like downtown memphis.........

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Until it gets lower it will be rocks. Once it gets lower there is a large sand bar north of the ramp that get pretty close to the channel. I see people fishing there quite a bit during the summer. As far as license I couldn't see where he needed anything more than a regular Jr Hunt/Fish license but I would call the TWRA number to make sure. It isn't a State Park Lake or a TWRA Lake so I don't read anything in regs that would require anything else but those things are written in "lawyer-ese" about half the time I think so you can't understand them.

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here's where I would start(if fishing from bank) Park at Shelby Forrest boat ramp, and walk on the rocks south(there is alot of rip-rap concrete after about 300-400 yds) Its normally about 45ft of water(not VERY far from bank) Make SURE you both have on your life jackets(current is fast here!) You will need to use at least 8oz of weight also! There are some GOOD fish to be caught in this area. I fish this area quit-a-bit in the fall from my boat. If your there(I'll be in a legend craft) give me a holler! Im by myself mostly. Hope this helps some.

4. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    To add to catfishbills direction you can actually take a little trail that is on top of the bank up in the woods and walk a lot easier than stumbling along the riprap. I have seen a few people fish down that way myself. One of my favorite spots along a straight bank swift current area is down that bank. I would tell you the identifing tree I try and anchor out from but that would take all the fun away from you trying to find a good hole.:smile2: Also I doubt 8 oz will do unless you are really close in I usually fish with 12. Good luck

5. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    HAH! thanks but i dont have a boat all i do is bank fish like i did in greenville,ms on the river becuase there was sand there but im having trouble finding some non rip rap places to fish from the bank...i dont want to have to take a risk of getting my line stuck on some rocks and the have to re rig it!!!!!!!(not a very good not tier)=)

6. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Like I said up above the ramp when it gets lower there is a big sand bar fairly close to deep water you can try.

7. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!