Mississippi river falling

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by turtle1173, Apr 18, 2008.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    It doesn't seem possible but at this point in time, the river appears to actually be going down here in the bootheel.:crazy: Now that may change tomorrow but for the time being it is dropping. Looks like it has dropped about a foot since yesterday. Now we are only 6 feet above flood stage!

Of course we are supposed to get between 1/2" - 1" of rain today through the morning and that will go on up the Ohio valley as it leaves. So who knows?

For now, however, I'll bask in the thought that maybe there IS hope for fishing this year. Just maybe I won't have to re-learn what I thought I knew:eek:oooh:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It is rising further North in pool 26, all the ramps are flooded.

3. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    I was at LD26/Mel Price yesterday and they said it's dropping and they would start skimming with the doors Saturday and probably put doors in soon after. Of course that could all change if there's a bunch of rain but it doesn't look like a lot of rain is coming in the near future.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well the hydrologic charts show L&D 26 tailwaters dropping, while L&D 25 tailwaters are still rising for the next week!:confused2: So we'll stay flooded up here longer I suppose!:angry:

5. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    shane did you go out fishing today, i was down at new madrid today saw the boat was gone. the river is falling a little but it will take a month to get it back where it needs to be. might take a month to cut all the trees up that is on the parking lot. and more rain today & rain for all next week. i might get out sunday and play for a while, im sure a lot of things have changed.

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Hey Rusty, no such luck for me to get out. Brad needed his boat back. His Dad was needing to check something on some land they have. They needed the boat to get to it.

Yeah, we'll be lucky if the river is in decent shape by tourney time in New Madrid. I imagine the parking lot is going to be a huge mess when that water finally recedes. Oh well, we'll just have to wait.

7. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Right now looks like its going down about a foot a day at New Madrid. Weather shows a "chance" of rain several days next week, just have to see what happens. I've talked to some people at the city and been assured that as soon as the water goes down a little, parking lots gonna be cleared ASAP.

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is suppose to drop a bit and then start going back up a little.

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Well I sure hope it doesn't start going back up again :angry:

Rusty, did you do any good yesterday? I drove by the old ramp after church last night and saw your truck. Boy, the new ramp sure is a mess. Shouldn't take much more for the water to be off of it but it looks like you could build a house with all the timber that's laying on it, LOL.

Any news on how Jerry did this weekend?

10. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
  11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Falling, falling, falling,... Great news

We are below flood stage and will be below 30 feet on the New Madrid scale today. It's amazing how fast a river that size can rise and fall. That is so much water. Oh yeah, and so many cats!

I found out that my Lower Unit finally shipped out this past Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be back in business by early next week! Let's just hope he sent the right one this time :eek:oooh:

12. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am in the same boat. Sitting here inpatiently waiting for a water pump. :)