Mississippi river eater fish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Motopro00, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I caught some eating size fish and was wondering how you guys handle the cleaning of the fish? I heard of guys putting the fish in clean water to clean out the mud from the fish? Do you even eat them? I heard how there no good to eat. I have eaten catfish from the river but really wanted to know about if keeping them alive in clean water for a day or two is necessary?

2. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    We use to gut and skin them, but now I just fillet, its easier and faster with less mess. With practice you can get pretty much get all the meat. I’ve never heard of holding fish in clean water to flush the mud from them before butchering, but I have had friends that have held snappers (turtles) in clean water to flush the mud out and if I remember right they used salt water to help kill parasites, but I could be wrong about that.

3. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    As far as being safe or good to eat, many fish sold over the counter at the local grocery stores come from the ocean where I’ve heard cruise ships dump their garbage, etc and many fish come from third world countries where there are little or no stipulations on agriculture toxins or contaminants. The MODOC does have some consumption advisories but if we have a problem with the pollution in our waters, when we have such strict policies about the chemicals we use. I can only imagine what the water pollutants are like in some of the third world countries we are importing fish from.
    To take a closer look at MODOC consumption advisories you can refer to the link below.

A Summary of Missouri Fishing Regulations, effective March 1, 2009
    Fish Consumption Advisory
    Page 42
    http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/2115.pdf

4. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Soaking them in HOT grease for a few minutes will usually clean them right up....:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Just soak them in salt water for a few hours, then give the a couple of water changes to get the salt out. I usually let them sit in fresh water overnight. Eater size fish have a lot fewer contaminates than large fish. The water in both the Miss. & Mo. have been cleaned up a lot since the 70's.

6. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    thanks for the input. I filleted my fish this morning and I had a super dull fillet knife...:eek:oooh: This summer is the first time I caught fish to eat so I have a ways to go. I had only brought a couple home but am trying to learn how to take full advantage of process. I watched a bunched of youtube video's on cleaning them and think I'll rewatch them. I was not sure about the cleaning them out part and if people eat them? I am glad I have a place to come to get information on cat fishing and everything involved. :big_smile: Thanks again!

7. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Mike, trim all the dark red meat off the fillet. That's where that "mud taste" comes from. You will definatley need a sharp fillet knife to do so. You can try an electric fillet knife if you want, that's what I use. Your not use to filleting fish so an electric knife may take some time getting use to, so be careful. When you're ready to remove the skin off the fillet, leave an 1/8 or 1/4 inch of meat on the skin. That will remove most of the dark red meat in 1 stroke of the knife.

8. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    hi mike,if it don't kill you it will make you stronger or GLOW in the dark:smile2: has not killed me yet!:eek:oooh:

9. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I scrap all the red meat and soak it salt water for about 2 hrs ...

Rinse 3/4 times then ur good to go..

The red/grey meat taste like crap to me ... i got a buddy who loves that flavor of the red/grey meat.

Im not gonna say anymore here.:eek:oooh: But hes been married for 30+years with Zero problems :big_smile:

10. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I cooked it up last night after soaking them in the salt water and rinsing. :big_smile: I then trimmed up the fillet one last time by cutting out the dark red meat. It looks like some white meat is a light pinkish but not the dark red stuff that ran through the middle. I didn't think that was the same as the dark red stuff? But breaded them and fried in veg. oil. I made some mac & cheese with it. It was just like I hoped good good stuff. I got lots of left overs for today. Thanks guys for helping me get threw it. Now maybe I will look into some different way to cook them. :wink:

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    big thing is to make sure you get that big streak of red meat out of the middle of the fillet.

I also prefer to cut them into fairly small and "thinnish" strips. They seem to cook up better and stay nice and firm.

12. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    You should try blackening them. Dip them in lemon juice then coat with blackening seasoning on both sides. You should be able to get blackening seasoning at any grocery store. Then throw them in a cast iron skillet with a little oil (very hot) for a few minutes in each side. The seasoning makes a nice crust. Squeeze a little more lemon juice on right before you eat them. I still like fried fish but I think this is my new favorite way to make catfish fillets.

13. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    Here’s a recipe I’ve used for a while. I usually mix extra and keep it on hand for next the time.

Blackening Seasoning

2 tablespoons ground paprika
    1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

In a small bowl, mix paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, salt, white pepper, black pepper, thyme, basil and oregano.

Brush fillets on both sides with 1/4 cup butter, and sprinkle evenly with the cayenne pepper mixture. Drizzle one side of each fillet with 1/2 remaining butter.

In a large, heavy skillet over high heat, cook fish, butter side down, until blackened, 2 to 5 minutes. Turn fillets, drizzle with remaining butter, and continue cooking until blackened and fish is easily flaked with a fork.

I brush olive oil on the fish instead of using butter and then sprinkle the seasoning on the fish.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  14. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    A lot of people I know use Andes fish breading. Good stuff. I like to throw a slice of onion in with each batch too.

15. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I think I might start targeting eaters for a little while cause I thought they were REALLY good and these are some good idea's I can try. :big_smile:

16. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Mike, here's a recipe that everyone in my house likes.
    First the basics, the fish will need to be in the 4 to 6lb range for larger fillets, you'll need BBQ pit and a grilling basket.
    Don't try and cut the red meat out you'll need the whole fillet, I normally use channels. Soak in salt water as already stated.
    Pat fillets dry with paper towel.
    Make a sauce of 1/3 cup dijon mustard and 2 tablespoons mayo.
    Lightly coat fillets and save remainder of sauce.
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Place in grilling basket and then on grill. Cook until just brown on both sides and be careful not to over cook.
    Plate, and put a spoonful of the sauce on each fillet.
    I like to put asparagus spears on the grill and serve them on the side with a little melted butter.

I have another that uses salsa and chedder cheese, cooked on the grill if your interested.
    enjoy!
    P.S. Trim the fat off the drosal fin area of the fillet

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  17. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I like to make nuggets out of mine. After trimming all discolored meat I just cut into 1 inch or so cubes. IMO flathead is the best eating catfish!!

18. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I'm in on the flathead being the best eating catfish. Consider their diet, mainly live bait, unlike Blues and Channels. A offering to a Flat has to look alive and smell alive, or be alive.

19. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I could tell the differences in a couple fillet's but didn't know witch was witch.:embarassed: I am going to start labeling my bags in the frig. I don't know witch are the best tasting but would lke to find out. :big_smile:

20. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All of the above cooking infomation has made me hungry.

My fishing buddies and I have a saying, "It is time for a religious service. Let's baptize them in Criso", peanut oil works also.