Mississippi River @ Chester - safe boat size?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Welkmeister, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    I am about to embark on my first fishing trip on the Mississippi near Chester IL, and Cape Girardeau but now I'm wondering whether I have enough boat for the job. I have an old 17' Chrylser tri-hull with a 65 hp Merc 650. Beam width is roughly 48". It's a clunker but it floats, motor runs good and I can cut bait on the deck and not worry about cleaning it when I get home. Is this too small for the Ol' Miss?

2. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    If you have a decent amount of free board you should be okay. No matter how big your boat is, you should always use a little extra caution on the Mississippi. It is a very big river.

One thing to remember, you should have a ratio of about three or four to one on your anchor line. Meaning if the water is twenty feet deep, you should have sixty to eighty feed of line out. Six to eight feet of chain between the anchor and the line adds greatly to the effectiveness of your anchor.

Have fun and catch a big one.

Grits

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I run a 15 hp seahorse on a 15 ft lowe jon and I wouldnt be afraid to take it most anywhere,My uncle runs a 9.9 evenrude on a 14ft gruman and it does well enough...use your head and be careful so you can do er again...mostly all I fish is the missippi so....

Attached Files:

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Larry---I don't know anything about boating on the Miss, or any river for that matter, but I do know about old Chryslers. I had a 1975 - 16'10" Chrysler Funster for 25 years. The only reason I sold it was because I got tired of putting decks in it (that'll happen when you leave it outside without a cover). Back in my drinkin' days, I took that boat places that no sane (or sober) person would. The worst trouble I got into was in 40 degree water-the only boat on the lake,(no rigs at the ramp should be taken as a bad sign) and I dove the nose into a freak wave. I didn't have a bilge pump, so my buddies wore out 2 minnow buckets and a cooler bailing, while I kept the nose up. I don't know how that 75hp. Crysler kept running with the battery and fuel tank underwater.You have a tough old boat there,and as long as you use common sense you can handle some decent waves. GOOD LUCK---and if you have any extra common sense, I'm still a little short.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Take it from someone who has fished the Mississippi River for quite some time. The river can be scary. If you ever stop being scared on that river, get off it! It has a way of sneaking up on ya an biting you on the rear when you least expect it. As was said earlier, use common sense. Doing that is far more important then what size/type boat you are using.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kutter you said it....NEVER stop asking her if it is ok to be on her but you respect her and use common sence you will be allright....HE asked he will know...Use your head,I fear the DesMion more than the Missippi and I have grown up on them................................