mississippi river catfishing

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by catoon, May 10, 2008.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    hi me and my wife live in memphis and fish the river any one else fish here or close

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hi and welcome to the BOC. Lots of folks from tenn. here, check the local talk on Tenn. page.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well Richard WELCOME to the BOC/SOC always good to see new faces.Like John said, check out the Tenn Forums. I'm sure your gonna find someone close by.

4. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mississippi Catfishing/Local mississippi talk is one place to look. Quite a few folks from around Memphis that post there.

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I too live in Memphis and actually had my first experience fishing the MS River today. I caught 3 small blues and left only because I ran out of worms. I have'nt been having any luck using night crawlers so I switched to Red Worms, only thing I had to use about 3 or 4 just too give em' something appealing, they were so small and I only brought one container. I went to the Duvall boat ramp off of Hwy. 59. I can't say much for the spot except that I did get my hook in the water and catch a few so I guess it was ok. Do you know any good spots? I'm on vacation this week and would love to do plenty of fishing at the MS. River. I normally fish solo but love to have some company.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome, Richard & Patrick!
    If you put in at Mud Island, you could start fishing the dikes right across the river. Try to catch some skipjack off the points, then fish in behind the dikes for channels right now.

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Hey Jerry! Thanks for the tip but I am just a bank fisherman. Do you know any good accesses to the river bank around Memphis?

8. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    If you live on Memphis and don't mind driving a little more north I understand they catch quite a few fish off the bank up in Lauderdale County. You can drive all the way to the river after you pass the Champion Lake part of the Lower Hatchie Wildlife Rufuge at the end of Highway 87. I have talked to an older man who has cought some flathead when water is up like now that went 40# or so. Send me a PM if you need instructions on how to get there. There is also a deep hole behind a dike a little farther down the road where Duvalls is at that you can get to from the road. I have been fishing it a few time in the boat since water is up but last time I was there a guy came down bank and fished as we were leaving.

9. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Thanks for the info Rwilley3! I'd like to go there tomorrow. The system wouldn't let me send you a pm (it said members must post 10 posts first) anyway, I have been searching for a good spot to bankfish the Mississipi. I would really appreciate some detailed directions. I'd be coming North via Hwy 51.

I remember fishing a spot about 15 years ago out past Covington that was right by a grain mill or something. I can't for the life of me recall exactly how to get there. I just remember taking a left off 51 in or just past Covington and driving down a road possibly called "Church". The area was wide open- easily accessible bank.

Last night I set up at the Duvall ramp on those rocks and caught a few. I'd like to find a better spot. I'm not too wild about sitting on rocks and in thicket and the place seemed to be kind of hangout for local partiers.

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    patience always pays off

11. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Patrickgd and I went to the river today with no luck. Maybe next time. We tried shad, skip jack, goldfish and night crawlers. Other people at the boat ramp reported the same thing, no fish.

12. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I want to do some fishing in the MS river. I still think that it has the best potential for the next world record to come out of it. Not only that, but something huge.

On an off note...Anyone seen any sharks out there? I've read about bull sharks going as far north as Illinois in the MS river. They can tolerate fresh water for a long LONG time apparently.

13. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have heard that also brandon havent seen any yet :smile2:

14. kthehun89

kthehun89 New Member

State:
    TN
    fishing at the wolf all my life

15. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Where do you fish the Wolf?

Catoon, we have been having some luck on the MS River of late and fish it often.