Mississippi River blue catfishing techniques

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by wiskeredwarrior101, Apr 15, 2007.

1. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Im going to my dads this summer and i was wondering if anyone knew what i should look for when trying to find blues on the mississippi perticularly the davenport area of IOWA

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shucks, I'd like to know that...:big_smile:

Ol' man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

3. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    anything that slows the current. eddies, wingdams, blah, blah, blah...

4. wiskeredwarrior101

State:
    virginia
    thanks i know where quite a few wingdams are

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I know that the blues like the current...look for deep holes behind some rip-rap or below a dam...outside bend of the river...wing dykes...most importantly is just getting out on the water!:big_smile:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Revetments where there is a nice current seam between slack water and fast water near deep water.

7. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Might want to concentrate on Flathead and channel cats, there aren't a lot of blues up that way.

8. wiskeredwarrior101

State:
    virginia
    could you go into a little more detail about that? I understand what you mean but im a little confuse

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Riprap is where rocks have been piled to prevent erosion along the bank, or to create a dike. Revetment is a mattress-like creation that looks like someone took bags and bags of cement and laid them out in a single layer with the bags connected by very heavy wire or light rebar. I've seen this on the Mississippi, but not on the Arkansas. In general conversation & reading, the term revetment is often used to describe any type of material placed along the shoreline to prevent erosion, but the Corps of Engineers labels them separately on their navigation maps.
    Locate a revetment where deep water with a fast current runs close to shore. Motor slowly along the bank, looking for a place where there is a definite eddy from the current toward the shore; if you can find one where there is actually a little current moving upstream, that's often even better. The visible line, or 'seam' between the calm water and the fast current can easily be seen on the surface. Anchor upstream so you can cast down along the seam, or make repeated drifts along the seam.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Oops, forgot to add these pictures. Hope they help.

Attached Files:

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Great explanation and photos Jerry!

As you can tell from his last photo, revetments are oftentimes layered with the rip rap (rocks). What especially makes some of these areas attractive is when the earth under the mats erode. This makes the revetment buckle and creates even more current breaks. A great time to look for these is during low water periods.

I would also add that the eddies or reverse current will change with different water levels. It might become stronger or weaker as the water goes up and down. The current seam may be closer to shore or farther out, depending on the water level. Or oftentimes, both!