Mississippi River blue catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat junkie, Mar 4, 2007.

1. bluecat junkie

bluecat junkie New Member

State:
    missouri
    Does anyone ever fish around the dam near Saverton, MO? My girlfriend is from Hannibal, MO and when we go back to visit her parents I like to pull the boat with me and jump on the Mississippi River near Saverton. I have found a couple of deep holes, but I haven't ever caught anything worth speaking of. I put in right below lock and dam #22. Any advice on where to fish in this area would be greatly appreciated. I know the blues have to be there, but I can't seem to find them.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

They are DEFINITELY there Scott. They just werent in those holes the days you were there. I've caught some nice fish off of those dams, both Saverton and Clarkesville. If you have the boat for it, dont be afraid to fish the fast water. I use 14 ounces of lead to hold bottom. You can usually catch some skipjacks on sabiki rigs during the spring and summer months, and they will be your best go-to bait. If no skippy's, gizzard shad and threadfin herrings work well also. Spend some time studying the current flow and try and fish the slack side of the current rips. I lost a monster fish below Clarkesville last year during the cooks tournament fishing a current rip 10 feet from the Illinois shoreline. Dont be afraid to try several spots till you find them. Best Of Luck. :cool2:

3. bluecat junkie

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Cuz for the information. Where do you usually catch the skipjack around the Saverton Dam? I have always been able to catch big shad in my throw net, but i have never caught any skipjack. I usually fish in the Missouri River around the Columbia, MO area and the skipjack are no where to be found. I know the skipjack are in the Mississippi river but I am not sure where to catch them at.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Scott, when I was there in August I caught all the skippys on the flat over on the Illinois side of the river. There were alot of 6-10 skippys popping the water and I was catching 2 and 3 at a time on my white sabiki rigs. I ended up just throwing the net there were so many and got 50 of them on my first throw. You can usually catch the bigger ones with your sabiki rigs though. When the skippys start running you wont have any problems at all finding them. Watch the top of the water, and better yet watch the birds. The birds will show you a skippy feeding frenzy more times than not, then its just a matter of popping a sabiki rig through the schools. Run your boat up into the current right in the channel then pull it to idle. Cast your sabikis while drifting back then repeat. If they are there you will know it, trust me. Its a site to see. As well, if the skips are in a frenzy, the Blues are just below them. Just keep an eye on the Missouri Threads as someone will usually make a post when the skips are running at the dams. Its usually 2-3 weeks after they make a big run at Kentucky Lake so I watch the Ky Threads also. Good Luck

5. bluecat junkie

State:
    missouri
    Thanks alot Cuz, the information you gave me is great and I can't wait to give the skippy's a try. If you are ever going to be fishing around the saverton dam let me know if you want company. I have a boat myself, but it's always fun to fish with other people. Good luck with the fishing.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I just might do that. PM me your cell phone number. I'll give you a shout next time I'm up that way. A few of us have been tinkering with a mini-get together idea up that way, possibly during the Cooks Tournament in August. Monitor the Missouri threads for info.

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

It would be a 200 mile Trip for me(one way)but It would be worth it just to see you catch bait Cuz. :big_smile: Catching two and three Skipps at a time would be just as much fun for me as catching bluecats.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Rob, it is a Blast to say the least. Bring your favorite light tackle rod and get yourself a couple of sabiki rigs. They fight hard and you catch them just about every cast on a hot run. This is a great time to take the kids too as they stay very interested when the fishing is that fast. Case in point, it was the day before the Cabelas King Kat Classic on Lake Pickwick in Sheffield, Alabama and my dad and I got the sabikis goin. Long story short, we spent 4 hours and caught 2 - 3 hundred. We had so much fun we forgot we had a big tournament to get ready for. The guys down in Kentucky, Deerhunter and Dreadnaught like to get together every spring at Ky Dam and slay the skips too. You wont find better people than those two. I'll probably head down there this spring some time to catch some skips with those guys. They have been invaluable to me in helping me with tournaments and finding bait. I'll make a post when the skipjacks start runnin and maybe we can get a few guys to go. Its alot of fun and you can stock up on bait for those dog days of summer when it gets tough to find.

9. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rob sorry to steal your thread but!!! Cuz have you ever seen anyone use a sabaki rod, was wondering how they liked them and what was so special about them?

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I must admit, I dont have the foggiest clue what a sabiki rod is. I just get
    my favorite crappie rig, with a spinning reel and tie a 1/2 ounce weight at the bottom of my sabiki rig and giver er He!!. :big_smile: What on earth is a sabiki rod?

11. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Actually its a rod that allows the sabaki rig to be reeled up into rod, keeps from having to take rig off before storing rod. I thought it would be nice as I like to leave my rig laying on front deck and cast whenever I see a few skippys jumping. As it is now I get hooks caught in everything as it lays out and I have to remove it to store. Just never used one, thought I would check around to see what others whove used one thought.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Interesting. Might have to look into that myself. Thanks.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I understand what a Sabiki Jig is, but could somebody explain how they rig them? As I understand, as many as 6 jigs are tied on with a small weight at the end of the main line. Is that right? How are the jigs attached? Open spread like some crappie rigs? I have used crappie jigs and caught quite a few skippies at the Chain of Rocks Low Water Dam, on the Mississippi River, but even though I was catching them, I had no idea what I was doing. Even caught a 6 lb 2 oz Walleye while doing the above.
    I'm a little slow, you may have to provide pictures. LOL

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Kutter,sorry no pic,but I'll explain.They come pre-rigged about 1$ each.

About a 4 foot,30# main line,4-6 tiny hooks on about 4 inches of same weight line staggered about every 6 inches.The hooks usually have a bright plastic bead and 2 mylar "wings"
    Top has a swivel,bottom a snap swivel.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You are correct Tom. You can build your own sabiki rig. You will get the best action from a "homemade" rig if you tie your jigs on dropper loops. I've found the sabikis are cheap enough you can just buy a half dozen or so and keep them for years. Since you claim to be "little slow', here is a picture for ya. :big_smile:

http://www.anglersupply.com/product...deedc8427-31AB795E-E081-5F18-DF6D1A2462408BC6

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You are correct Bob. Here is a Sabiki Rod. All for the nifty price of 80 bucks we can avoid those half dozen little hooks. :0a18:

http://www.captharry.com/rods-baitpro.html

17. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Hey Kutter, in responce to a thread you did a little while back, the winter kill of shad is the largest I've ever seen, saw thousands floating and on land around wind blown areas where the water has dropped. This was on the 5th and 6th at Pere Marquette. Even saw a bunch up at Mark Twain today. Let the feeding frenzy begin.

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thanks, Mike. By what you said, I would think they would have the frenzy going about now, around Alton or even down my way. Why do I always pick the wrong dates for vacation? Cuz, sounds like even though the water level should be starting to drop, you need to get that itty bitty dingy of yours out. After you shake the icicles off, tell me how it went.
    Thanks again, Mike.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'll be out there next week Tom with Dinghy in tow. :lol: MIke, you should be fishing my friend. Those blues will be gorging on that shad kill. That can be some of the best fishing there is. Good Luck.

20. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Been checking out the maps for areas where the wind and currant will hold the bait for awhile. I'm looking at Wednesday as my only open day coming up. :angry: Been working a lot to cover my fish'n cost coming soon... I've often wondered how long they will gorge themselve till they have had enough. Never have I seen such a large winter kill.