Mississippi River blue catfish - got a pig

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by russ, Oct 15, 2007.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    had a great night on the mississippi sunday, made 6-7 drifts jush off the main channel caght a fish or to on each pass. got one blue that was 57 inches long, tried to put it on my scales but they wouldnt work. im going to try to get the pic. up. but with it being 57 inches long it had to be in the fifftys, not my pb, but it is the biggest one this yr. so far. & yes i let it go.

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    57" that is a giant. We had one in the boat that my buddy caught that was 49" and it weighed 62 lbs. Cant wait to see the pictures, great job Rusty!

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Atta boy Rusty. Good to hear someone found some better fish out there. Reps for the release. Thx for sharing the story. Were these fish you caught coming off of the channel ledges?

Great catch, and Great Release. Nice Work.

4. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i was fishing in 30-40 feet of water in a big bend ,the river is very wide here & THERE IS GOOD CURRENT EVEN THO I WASNT IN THE MAIN CHANNEL, BUT WAS VERY CLOSE TO IT, HAD FOUR LINES OUT DRAGING THEM. USED CUT SKIP JACK, I THINK THE FISH ARE STARTING TO GET ACTIVE. WE HAVE HAD A SOUTHEAST WIND FOR THE LAST COUPLE WEEKS , DONT KNOW IF THAT WHY ITS BEEN SLOW. BUT IT SEEMS LIKE ITS THE ONLY PLACE WE CAN GET ANY QUALITY BITES RIGHT NOW.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats wild you mentioned you southeast wind thing. Gary and I were just talking with another buddy of ours the other day about how crappy the fishing seems on a south wind. I looked back through some of my old fishing logs and found the south winds generally were my poorest fishing days. I dont think its so much the wind direction that causes it, but more due to the barometer and stabile fronts. I usually do my best just ahead of a big frontal system, on a north wind, or when the river is starting a rise. Its good to hear some reports of some fish being caught. Thanks a million for the information.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats wild you mentioned the southeast wind thing. Gary and I were just talking with another buddy of ours the other day about how crappy the fishing seems on a south wind. I looked back through some of my old fishing logs and found the south winds generally were my poorest fishing days. I dont think its so much the wind direction that causes it, but more due to the barometer and stabile fronts. I usually do my best just ahead of a big frontal system, on a north wind, or when the river is starting a rise. Its good to hear some reports of some fish being caught. Thanks a million for the information.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Good Job Russ!!! I'm glad to hear the report of some hogs being pulled from their dark hiding spots!!

Reps for the release as well! Way to go!

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Way to go on the catch can't wait to see the pics. glad to hear a monster fish got released to be caught again

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    congrats on the hog Russ. I had a 60 that was 46.5 inches. So I would guess that fish must have been 75 or more. I'm no expert. There is a formula for figuring it out. I saw it in Missouri Conservationist Magazine. Cant remember what it is right now.

10. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Who caught it ?. You or the guy sitting next to you holding that monster flathead. He looks like the" real deal ". Did he show you how to catch the big ones.

You must be hard up for a picture...

I hope your rod held up ok. Were you using a River rod or Lake rod ?.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Way to go Rusty. 57 inchs should weigh quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

12. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    HEY STEVE HOWS THE FISHING, WHEN ARE YOU COMMING DOWN. THE ONE I GOT SUNDAY WAS RIGHT OUT FROM THE BOAT RAMP, & IT WAS ON ONE OF YOUR RIVER RODS, & YES I HAVE TROUBLE WITH PUTTING PIC. ON THE ONE ON THE AVATAR, IS ONE I GOT OFF YOUR SITE, BUT IM IN THERE, THAT PIC. WAS IN YOUR BOAT WITH YOUR RODS , AFTER THAT NIGHT WITH ALL THE FISH WE GOT I KNEW THAT THE RIVER RODS WAS FOR ME.

13. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

What I saw was length X length X length divided by 2000 = approximate weight

14. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    by that formula it would weight 92 lbs

15. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i bet he was around 78 lbs. that is my educated guess ... dont get me wrong .. but im not the best guesser in the world