Mississippi River: Bankfishing for Big Cats

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI RIVERS TALK' started by patrickgd, Jul 31, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Just thought I'd start this forum to see if there is anyone else out there who fishes the Mighty Mississippi from the bank. If so gimme a shout on here and maybe we can share tactics and what not.

Thanks!

2. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I have a few times but I stayed hung up a lot. The only place I could find to fish was under the bridge in Lake Village,Ar.Lots of concrete and rebar and rocks.I still love it though.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Yeah in some places hang-ups are real tough. I've had to experiment with different hook and sinker rigs to get past allot of the snags or at least make them bearable.
    One that works pretty well in areas with lots of rocky cover is a 3-way. Basically you use a 3-way swivel with about 15-20 inches of lighter line (I like 12 lb.) tied to your sinker. And 6-8 inches of heavy line tied to your hook. This weigh at least if you hook a fish you'll break off your weight when it gets hung up and keep the rest and with any luck the fish as well.

Lately the water here has gone down and the snags have greatly lessened. Fish are biting a bit better too. But its on the rise again :roll_eyes:

4. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the ideals pat:wink:

5. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Thanks for the info.I'll try a 3 way rig the next time I go.What kind of rod and reel you holdin' there?

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    a lot of good info here, It is hard to bank fish these big rivers with consistent success so don't let it get the best of you! Good luck

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I use an 8" Berkley Glowstick and a Cat Max spinning reel by Bass Pro with 100 lb. Power Pro Braided line. The reel only cost me $35 and performs like a champ.

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I have 2 Silstar saltwater spinning reels.One is on a Cabelas King Cat 8 ft. rod and the other is on an 8 ft. Silstar rod.I also have a Penn 320 GTI that is on an 8 ft. Eagleclaw Water Eagle rod.None have gotten much use though.

9. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    So has anyone bank fished around Moon Landing near Tunica?

10. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    just north of the boat ramp is a pretty good spot ......... path leading down to the dirt bank that starts below the rocks ..............

11. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi

Thanks, will have to give that a try, maybe this weekend.

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Chris and I tried Mhoon Landing this past Saturday night. We got a late start barely made it there before dark. I could not find the trail by the parking lot so we just fished off of the boat ramp. We tried going for Flatties with Live Bluegill. We did'nt catch anything. I was however impressed by the slow thick current, lots of swirls and boils in a giant eddie. This portion of the river was allot different than the parts I've seen in and around Memphis.

13. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    patrick , just wondering ...... how was the boat ramp ???? is it ok for launching a boat ??????

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Yeah Coach we saw some folks bring in there. They did'nt have any problem.

15. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yeah the weeds are really tall and thick there right now. I think the only way the path could be found is if we had 30 guys with machetes.