Mississippi River Bank fishing tips?

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bigdaddy83, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bigdaddy83

bigdaddy83 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Im new to the site here and was wondering if anyone had any useful tips for bank fishing in the Mississippi river. (i.e. depth, structure, bait, best areas). I appreciate any info you guys are willing share.

2. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    yea, i got a tip, we need a boat!

this part of the forum stays pretty quite, the other areas of it stay pretty active like maybe "blue, flathead catfish" sections.

WoOt

3. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    welcome to the boc guys aka Corey & Robert,ya need to check out the boc library on different ya can make cheap out of pvc till ya git ya a boat,lots of good stuff in there ya can make to make bank fishin more comfortable and easier,check it out ya wont be mad..Good fishin to ya and keep readin youll learn a ton on here..

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Corey and Robert. Check out some of the other posts on bank fishing. Not any different stste to state. Just do a search for post containing "bank fishing".

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC alot of good people here good info too

6. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i've made a few rod holders out of pvc already, some spots we fish we can even use the holes in the bed of our trucks. we just havent been that successful. maybe its just the cold weather and fishing from the bank, i dunno. we keep trying different bait to no avail.

PS. corey is my brother-in-law and fishing buddy.

7. James Keyes

James Keyes New Member

State:
    Natchez, Missis
    I Bank fishing on the Mississippi all the time in South Mississippi. These are some little tips that might come in handy for ya.

1)Use a STRONG fishing set up. (espically line) You might just catch a record cat...Current record is 124 lbs.
    2) Catfish Love Current, rocky or sandy bottoms, and low pressure systems.
    3) I have found that in My area, Cool cat worms, and Chicken livers work best.
    4) If you can get out in the channel or by some type of grain elivator, or anything running off into the Mississippi...thats where the fish are.
    5) Catfish feed by feel and smell..there sight is like 5%, so the stinkier the better.
    6) And Finally..Catfish bight best on a rise or a fall on the Mississippi.