Mississippi River Baitfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jun 11, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Anyone have pics of the different baitfish you can get with a castnet locally?

Please pm or post here, thanks.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Do you need help identifying fish species, or are you just curious as to what turns up in a net?

For identification help, see this Wisconsin DNR web site: http://www.wiscfish.org/fishid/frames.aspx -- it covers just about everything you'll find in Missouri as well.

My current "cast net species count" on the Missouri River is at 18. So it's safe to say that just about everything will end up in your net if you keep throwing it long enough...

Here's my list:
    1. Shad
    2. Goldeye
    3. Drum
    4. Quillback
    5. Smallmouth Buffalo
    6. Silver Carp
    7. Bighead Carp
    8. Grass Carp
    9. Common Carp
    10. Channel Catfish
    11. Blue Catfish
    12. Paddlefish
    13. Pallid Sturgeon
    14. Walleye
    15. White Bass
    16. Bluegill
    17. Chestnut Lamprey
    18. Crappie

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes Marty I needed help identifying species of baitfish, I'll check out that link.

Skipjack wasn't on your list and I keep hearing everyone talk about SkipJack. I'd really like to know more about their habits and locations etc......

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Skipjack isn't on my list for a couple of reasons, mainly owing to the fact that there aren't any skipjack to speak of up here around Kansas City - they don't like the muddy water. A few locals have reported catching one or two lately but I've never seen one.

But even if they were here, they very seldom turn up in a cast net, being too quick to get caught.

If you have a fish that you think might be a skipjack, it's easy to tell the difference between them and a Goldeye or Mooneye -- there's a recent thread in this forum that discusses the difference, complete with photos - just search for "skipjack identification" and it should turn up...

5. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dont forget.
    19. Gar Ask River-Rat about that one! lol

6. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    3more....
    20.creek chud
    21.horse head sucker
    22.white sucker
    23.northern american river eel- is that a fish?lol

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The list I posted is my personal list, not a generic "what's in your net" kind of thing... Though I did forget gar, so my list is now officially at 19.

Never caught any of those suckers up in this neck of the woods. The one eel-like creature I caught (Chestnut Lamprey) was about as freaky as anything I've seen. Still makes my skin crawl...

8. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Marty - that is an astonishing variety of species! So, do you ever fish or just throw for bait? :big_smile: (that's a stupid question considering the monstrosity in your avatar)

BTW, I've used fresh skips w/John Trager (Captain Catfish) a few times on the MO -- next time I talk to him I'll find out if he gets them on the MO...though it might be a few days; he's an elusive creature when he's busy.