Mississippi River Awfully Low This Year

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Longjohn119, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    This coming weekend pools 16 and 17 will be 2 feet below normal, nearly a foot and a half lower than last year during a drought season. It's really going to mess up my usual June haunts and force me out on the main channel where I can only fish at night due to traffic

Anyone know what the Corps is up to that they need/want to drop the river to abnormally low levels despite plenty of rainfall this spring?

2. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    not sure why they are lowering the pools. i usually take my deep V into the blanchard shoot from muscatine way looks like i'll have to be carefull not to rip the bottom off my boat let alone the 50 hp lower end. welcome to the best outdoor site on the web john

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THE CORP IS UP TO.TYPE IN riverwatch and it should bring you to the mississippi river from MINN. ON DOWN. MIGHT FIND OUT SOMETHING THERE. I DO KNOW THAT DOWN HERE IT HAS BEEN UP FOR A MONTH.AT OUR CAMP SITE IF IT GETS UP TO 24 .6 FT WE CAN'T GET IN .1 MO.AGO IT WAS AT 24 RIGHT TO THE EDGE OF ROAD. SO WE MUST OF GOTTEN ALL YOUR WATER. AT CLARKSVILLE DAM IT WAS 17 FT AT THE TAILWATER. THE DIKES WERE JUST STARTING TO SHOW LAST WEEKEND. THEREFORE CURRENT WAS A BEARCAT TO ANCHER IN.ANYWAY JOHN WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

4. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    up here in pool 14 , it went from high and fast to slow and low in about overnight or so it seems. however, not as low as down south!.. what the heck. the corps dont care about nothing but getting barges up and down.

5. Longjohn119

State:
    Iowa
    But the odd (ignorant) thing is they lowered the pool way down below average and then put out a warning for barges with 9 foot drafts going upstream above the I-74 bridge that they may hit the bottom of the 11ft channel which is solid rock there ....

Seems to me if the levels were normal, the problem would be solved

I looked on the Corps Rock Island District website and only found information on drawdowns for pools 18 and 19 but not until next year

I fear this will mess up the spawn as a lot of the cavities they like and need for spawning will be out of the water by this weekend

6. Longjohn119

State:
    Iowa
    Tomorrow's forecast is 3.3 feet ....

That's over 4 feet below normal ....

And just a mere .6 feet from Flat Pool

I can't get a straight answer why but I suspect it's because of two things, first is Corps budget cuts so they are lowering the pool to make it easier/cheaper to dredge and maintain, and secondly a backdoor subsidy for the barge companies to lower their fuel costs

I normally have a lot of respect for the Corps of Engineers but when government bureaucrats give you the run around, it usually means they are up to something unsavory ...