Mississippi River at alton dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by handgunhunter, Apr 25, 2007.

1. handgunhunter

handgunhunter New Member

State:
    iowa
    anyone been doing any good down there i am going to make a trip down when the blues start hitting good

2. handgunhunter

handgunhunter New Member

State:
    iowa

i have never fished for blues in my life i am going to give it a try this summer i flathead fish all the time

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    fishing at the mouth is a little slow right now i dont know what is going on but i hope things start picking up soon

4. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What's the latest report on the water? The last I heard they had the flood gate raised completely out of the water.
    :0a28:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    All Gates open and fishing is poor at best. I'm getting alot of good fishing reports from the Ohio River, but the Mississippi and Missouri are on a bad bite right now. Summer is a great time to target big blues at Alton Hand gun. They are deep, and more predictable being on postspawn habit patterns. Good Luck

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Psssst.... Cuz! Go look at the mississippi thread........

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I fished the Mississippi on Sunday for about 5-6 hours and all I caught were a bunch of drums!!! All were 7-10 pounders, fun to catch but not what i was after! The water temp is still rising, yesterday it was 67. I was catching the drum in about 3-4 foot of water!

8. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Do you use those for bait???

CP

9. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone on the river today? Monday, May 7th?
    Just curious if it was fishable?
    :big_smile:

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I am off from work the rest of the week, so I'll be on the river most of the week...Will update.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've tried using the drums for bait. I've found the kitty's dont care for them much. Skipjack, Threadfin and Gizzard Shads, n Carp seem to work much better.

12. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Guy's I was down there at the dam on 5-6 and the gates were wide open and the water was really running. The only thing I saw was guys snagging. I also heard on the radio that a father and son team sunk their boat and were pulled from the river . One hung on to the Chain of Rocks bridge and the other caught the next bridge down. That had to put some more brown in the river. It would scare the daylights [and everything] else out of me!!

13. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN

I have seen some mighty small boats filled with soles trucking up and down the river in the past 2 weeks. It is really best policy to follow the max weight limits for your boat and to avoid taking smaller boarts into the river when the water is on a spring high. Sometimes it is best to not go fishing, particularly if the situation or equipment is not safe.

CP

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I was at the dam yesterday, Friday May 11th, and the parking lot was closed due to it being under water! If it opens up again will someone please post it here! I would appreciate it!

15. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Guys,

I am from down south around New Madrid. I was on the river today May 11th. All I can tell you is watch out for the trees. This is the most junk I have ever seen in the Mississippi River. I guess it is from all the rain west. When do you think the river will get rid of all that trash.

16. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    As of May 12, the MO river was still pretty dirty. It will take another week or so as the water tapers off, and lots of the junk gets caught up up stream (an become catfish homes). I would give it a week before St Louis is cleared up. THe water shoudl drop pretty fast over the next two weeks if it stays as dry as it has been this week. BUT, it is springtime.

CP

17. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have really needed a good flood to create new holes and log jams for several years. Rivers this size change all the time as we just have to adapt and explore more now for better fishing. I am looking forward to getting out there when all the logs clear up in the main water. Slow down and be more careful as these waters are at the most dangerous stage.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    good stuff Vince, not to mention this high water will make for an outstanding spawn. That will surely help us all to have a high survival rate of our fry.

19. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I cant wait for the spawn myself.. I would like to get about a half dozen of the little blue and flathead fry to study in one of my ponds. I did sunfish and goldfish last year and found out some pretty interesting observations on feeding habits and growth rates.
    Get ready, here in a few weeks, they will be fattening up for the spawn. So get some new line on your reels and some pretied rigs made up.. Your going to need them..

20. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Vince....I sure hope you're right....I am still holding you to a fishin trip!! :wink: :wink: :wink: I've been skunked so many times this year that I am starting to lose faith in myself as a catfisherman:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: