Mississippi River around Alton - Catfish Tips needed

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Cuz, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello all. As many of you know, I fish the river pretty religously about 20 miles south of St. Louis. I have found my fair share of big fish in my area, however, I'm just hearing to darn many reports of some real hawgs coming from the Alton area. Specifically in the area of the damn, and the confluence of the Missouri. I want to try fishing these areas this spring and summer and I'm looking for some advice on locations and presentation methods. I know how to rig, and get bait, I just dont know that stretch of the river. From the airplane, I see the Missouri has a ton of wing dykes right before it dumps into the Miss, and I see there are no wing dykes just below the Alton Dam. How are you guys from up there fishing these areas? I'm strictly catch and release, and I'm not after someones fishin hole, but I'd certainly appreciate any information on techniques, what to look for, boat positioning, holes in the channel, etc, etc,etc. Thanks a million for any and all information. Good Luck Fishin:cool:

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey John I fish it on occasion. We fish most of the wing dams on the miss above the confluence. Just anchor above so as to get your bait in or at the head of the hole. Also with a good depth finder you can find alot of good holes. Trying the outside river bends seems to work. To many good hole to find them all yet. There is one big one not to far below the dam. It starts about where the lock ends. It drops off about 20 ft from the regular river depth. It is across the majority of the river in that area. Pretty easy to find. Havent had a chance to fish it much but it sure looks good . I would imagine in the spring of the year it would be great staging area for fish to get out of the current .

Maybe we could get together sometime this summer and fish it.

The blue in my profile was caught below the dam. It was 51 lb and still swiming there.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for the information Tim. It would be great to take someone from up there along. We can use my boat. I have a 21ft G3, with a 115 Yamaha Four stroke, so we can run hard all day and cover alot of water. Let me know what days generally work best for you as I can get the days off that I want. I'm really interested in the damn area, as I know the really big fish do like to get out of the current. My avatar is a 60, and my biggest is a 95 Blue that I got back in 2001 around Rush Island Power Plant. I think on average though, you guys have more trophy fish per mile of river then we do. The current really rips down where I'm at. Drop me an email, and well get together some time. Hopefully some others will chime in with some tips for those areas. Thanks for your reply.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Chim in with fishing tips? I'll chim in that I want to fish the mississippi some time this summer. I'll be watching this one close as I do all miss. posts.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    John, the current up there is at least as fast, if not faster than your used to. Tim can show you where the Woodriver creek comes in, that is a great place for catching shad. Also the hot water discharge near there is pretty good for shad. There are several places that are good to fish. Most fish come from folks who drift below the dam. Either that or just anchor as close to the dam as is legal. The signs are posted at the closest point you can legally go. I can't quite cast all the way to the dam from that spot, but withing reason.
    The holes change from year to year, so the ones I know are probably gone now. One spot that stays pretty good is down by the shipyards at the first major turn in the river. However, you are not allowed to anchor out there, so it's not easy to fish. There are several barges parked for extended times, along the first few miles downstream of the dam. These barges create deep holes just downstream of them.
    This time of year, I would suggest what Tim said about the big long hole below the dam. It would be a great holding spot for cats wanting out of the current between meals.
    You mentioned the wing dikes on the Missouri above the confluense. There are quite a few of them but from what I could tell, they are a lot shallower than you are used to. Most I found along there have 20' or so as their deepest holes. I know of folks who have done well on them, but I aint one of them. Can't recall a decent fish coming from those dikes.
    You can usually find quite a few bankfishers below the dam. Most are regulars that go there most every day. The ramp seems fairly safe during the day. It's at night you got to worry if your truck will still be there when you get in.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for the info Tom. I hope all is well with you. Maybe when the weather warms we can go up there. I dont even mind making the run all the way from my boat club. I figure it would take me 45 minutes. I can always camp out up there somewhere and make it a two dayer. I really want to fish that dam, as I know those Big Blues will utilize the cover, current eddies, and deeper water to ambush the shad as they come through. Despite popular opinion, I really dont think those Big Blues like the really ripping currents. I've caught all of mine on the slack side of a current break. First nice weekend we get, I'm gone. I'll try those discharge areas you mentioned also. I've got a river map, so I should be able to locate those places you mentioned. Obviously, I've caught my fair share of big ones, 95, 60, 53, and dozens of 30-40's, but they just seem so few and far between. I also want to try the bridge pilings at the JB Bridge. Its an old saltwater technique, but I think the bigger Cats will utilize those pilings just like the tarpon and snook in Florida do. You are correct, I'm getting the itch. I'm also checking into another new boat for summer time. I'm looking at the XPress X24B which is a 24ft, center console. Alot like mine, however 5 feet longer, and I can put a 300 hundred horse yamaha on it. That ought to scoot me up the river at a pretty good clip. Thanks for the info Kutter. I appreciate it. Keep In touch.

7. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey Driver Gimme a shout whenever ya wanna get on those kitties up my way. I would be willing to go out with ya. I always love fishin with new friends. I Can show ya 2 warm water spots on the miss and some good locales, and if that fails we can hit the missouri, lots of awesome holes at the confluence. I can recall a few good fish coming from those dikes on the missouri. matter of fact I am looking at some pics and Theres one that was the missouri record back in 96 that my buddy held. I have been doing some fishing there lately and haven't been doing too bad. Can catch a good mess of walleye too if ya got hungry people back home. lol. Gimme a holler dude and maybe we can team up on em eh?

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yeah, I'd be game to go too. You know my day's off are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Just don't laugh when you see me dressed up like an Eskimo.
    I doubt you really want to drive that boat all the way up there, takes about an hour from here in Arnold, by truck. Then again, the way I drive, you'd beat me.(Why is it the older I get, the more I drive like those old folks I used to cuss out on the road?)
    By the way, Tim, if you know how to get ahold of Bluecatman, he'd know all the places we would need to fish up there. I promise not to steal his cap.

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey John weekends are best for me. I am self employed so if a different day is better for you I can get away most of the time.

I would think right now in the middle of winter that most blues would be back away from the dam in some of their winter holes. They always say may and june is tops for dam fishing.

Hey Tom yes I can get ahold of bluecatman. I know most of his places , but I wouldnt want to give them all up. It would ruin my time of fishing with him. HeHeHeHeHe

I have been thinking with the mild winter it would be a good time to try fishing the miss river. I have a bunch of skippies in the freezer we could use for bait.
    Let me know when and if you want to go.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like a little miniature get together guys. Would be a blast. Dont take Kutter in your boat though, hes not a very good guest. He catches all the fish, and saw to it his host got SKUNKED. (it was the first time I have ever been skunked on the river) Kutter, you cant get back on my boat unless you bring a bananna and toss it over your shoulder back in the river and wear a rabbits foot on your belt. LOL

11. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Jet driver. now I know why the times I got to fish with Kutter I didnt catch anything. Here I thought it was me. Know I know the rest of the story . Only bad thing when I was with him. He didnt catch anything either.

Sounds good to me. I would imagine Henry , bluecatman and eogden would like to make it also. I can bring my boat if needed.

12. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i would be up for some fishing around alton next week i usually fish clarksville or winfield but would love to try alton next week if yall going to get together pm me ill bring my boat takes me bout an hour to get down there

13. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    I am available Saturdays and sundays. Just not this weekend or next. Other than that I am game boys.

14. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    I am now available this weekend if any of you guys wanna get out and get some cattin in this weekend. Gimme a shout

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    My next few weeks are out of the question now. Found out today that Feb 7th will be my next day off work. Wish I could join ya.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Kutter, your working way to hard. Theres a chance I can get out tomorrow. I'll check with the Minister Of Finances, and see how the Honey Do list looks. I havnt checked the weather yet either. I'll drop a line if I can get out.

17. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Guys I will be busy for the next couple of weeks myself. But stay in touch. Towards the end of Feb it will slack up for me .

If all goes well I will be going to the coffee and skipjack fest for uncle scifi on the 18th of feb. I will bring back some fresh skippies for bait.

18. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    theres a place called columbia bottoms park,hwy270 and riverview go north on riverview,it turns into columbia bottoms rd.about 2.8 miles from 270 is the park,theres a boat ramp and dikes there,its on the missouri river but real close to the mississippi,were the 2 rivers meet is also a great spot!good luck:0a23:

19. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Ron I have put in at the columbia bottoms park before. Nice place to put in. Kinda challenging geting boat back on trailer though. The nite we did it there were 5 of us. So that helped. In the pitch black of nite with a thunderstorm going threw and the river at 10 ft and rising. It is a very long ride back up the MO river to that ramp. The sticks and trees coming down stream had us all a little scared. If any body ever says the river dont bother them any more I say you havent been there enough. About the time you feel safe you will get very hurt. I always use caution.

20. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Anyone wanna get out and hit some cats tommorrow?. Lemme know