Mississippi River - Anybody else get out today??

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ravenloft420, Mar 4, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I went to the missisipi today and hooked onto something pretty darn big. Im not sure if it was an asian carp or a blue cat,since I only saw about 6 inches of its tail sticking out of the water before my hook and weights came flying out of the water and almost hit me in the noggin lol. I got some worms but couldnt catch any baitfish with them so decided just to throw a couple on my big pole and just try with them. do asian carp bite on worms??

also found a tore up throw net that still had all the weights connected to it. free lead. even though I didnt get to see exactly what I fought with, it was by far the biggest fish Iv ever had on my line,and that alone made it a wonderful day :smile2:

2. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    one more thing, I couldnt beleive how low the mississippi was today. anyone know why?

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah Raven, Asian carp will hit on worms....I've caught them while fishing with worms and shrimp.

4. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    will catfish hang around the big asians?? because I saw hundreds of them where I was fishing. just lolling around like its nobodys buisness that they are invading our waters hahahaha.

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Well from what must of the people around here posted Asian Carp was one of the best baits used last summer. So, it wouldn't be unlikely that catfish would be around Asian Carp. Where were you fishing (if you don't mind me asking)?

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    it was that little place about a quarter mile left (northwest I think) of the alton bridge down 367. its some kind of park with a tower type thing you can climb up. back in the partying days we just referred to it as "the tower"by the confluence point

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    You might of had a large buffalo on. They can get huge and have been known hit anything that gets in their way. A 10 lber chomped down on my bother's rattle trap last June behind dam 25.

8. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    well whatever it was it wasnt tugging very much. it was almost like pulling dead weight with a few hard tugs here and there I really wish I could have seen the head

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know all locks are open and have been for about a week at the Alton Dam.

10. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    well I guess that must explain it. hey you dont happen to know the name of the place I described above do you? I can never remember the name of it. kind of silly I know

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    The way you describe the fish fighting makes is sound like a big blue cat to me. They are real sluggish in cold water, and just use their weight to try and stay near the bottom. As well, the blues will readily take night crawlers too.

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    The way you descibe it...it sounds like it was probably a sturgeon...I have caught alot of them on the river and have personally seen a 4 1/2 footer pulled out of the same spot that you descibed... they are like reeling in a big log...they don't fight much at all.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Your right Bill, may very well have been a sturgeon. Bummer he didnt get it in. :sad2:

14. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    Im almost positive it wasnt a sturgeon. I saw about 6 inches of its tail before it threw my hook. I was even runnin down the bank tryin to get close enough to see if it had scales or not.