Mississippi River - Alton, IL catfishing

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by BIG_D, Oct 8, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i thout this would be a good place for all of us that fish the alton part of the river exspeshaly the lock and dam part to share tips fishing info and reports on fishing trips we do a lot of this over in the post never agen but i thout we might get more involved if pepple seen this tittle instead so if the mods want to shut that thread down that suits me fine we will pic up hear if it suits every one els!!!!!!!!!!! :cool2:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I hope to read some good reports on this thread. What are you guys catching up there right now

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    brother hill iv just ben catching the big skunk lately
    heading back over to alton lock and dam friday moorning just iching to hook into a big cat iv played with enogh small ones i need to end the year with a nice one hope the fish gods are on my side lol Heather is going with me this time i hope if anything we can land her a big one that would make me just as happy:cool2: i engoy seeing her light up when she gets a gooden:wink:

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fished last Sunday with my son and it was very slow. I caught a #25 sturgeon and my son caught a #10 blue, and that was it. The week before I fished Sunday and took off work and fished Wednesday and combining the two days I caught a #48 #45 four or five in the #20's and a bunch around #7 to #10 range. Every fish I caught was over #5 and they all hit like freight trains. I caught these from the bank on the Alton side of the dam. I hope the action continues. Good luck.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks Dave sounds like you ben doing pretty good what was you using for bait if ya dont minde my asking

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use whatever I get in the castnet and my sabiki rig. I caught the fish on skipjack, asian carp and white bass. I assume they are white bass, I get a bunch of them on the sabiki. Good luck.

7. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    so....how do you guys get into the alton side of the dam? are you guys going through the open gates on the levy off the birm highway?...kinda right after the light at the water company...there on the right...if ur coming from the clark...i wanna go this weekend sometime...i got a reel just dying to get busted...lol

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Eric go across the big bridge thear is a gas station on left not fare past bridge turn left at that station go all the way to the end of that road and you are thear:cool2:

9. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    but that's not the illinois side.....that's the missouri side....you're talking about the backwater....or the wraparound there on the missouri side.....i don't really go over there...for 1 because it's always crowded...and 2 there is way too much debris and huge rocks......i thought you were talking about taking the birm right past the water company (the big blue building that sits there where the broadway exit is off the bridge...)...on the right...where the levy flood gate is usually open...i always see dudes going in there but i never have...i'm gonna try it out tommorrow, i think....

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    fixing to head out to Alton this am looking for a big old kitty talk to ya all this evning

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Annnnnnd? Well? how was it? :smile2:

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i got the big skunk agen and so did Heather but we had a good time just being out togather seen one nice cat caut it was in the 20lb range verry fat well me and the wife and girl are going to lake yager this evning gona have a picnick and do a little fishing talk at yall later:cool2:

13. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Good luck to ya Dallas, Let us know how it goes. Hope you're able to catch your main course for your picnic!!

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well if any thing like over at Hillsboro lakes, they seem to be in turn-over and the few fellas I talked with were having a tough do of it to say the least.....

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well the day at the lake was a reel relaxing day me and the wife sat back and engoyed the day togather heather made the bren live hard had a few poles out dident much care if i caut anything it was just good to spend time with tina dident get any cats but got a bass on cut carp thats a first was toled as we was leaving cats are hiting live brem thear right now o well i dident realy care today anyway lol just a perfect day to relax by the water:cool2:

16. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    went to the old #26 yesterday morning with the arsenal...skip...crawlers...sonny's...hog wild....livers both old and fresh......4 hours........nothing...barely a couple nibbles....

17. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Eric dont feel bad i know how it is im having same luck:sad2:

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well me and Heather was talking this evning and we are off to alton agen sat anyone doing any good in alton if so what are ya using for bait we are going to the lock and dam

19. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    may be a silly ? but you guys know im just lernning to fish the river so hear is my ? can i catch skipjack ther this time of year

20. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    If there are still some swimming around you can net them or use jigs...... try and get ya some shad :wink: