Mississippi River Above Alton

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Skunk Master, May 29, 2006.

1. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Ok guys I need some help.. I've tried fishing below the dam and I can't get my trailer in the water far enough to load and unload boat without 3 people helping push it off trailer.. Ramps too steep.. I put in at Piasa Creek 2day, water is finally up high enough so motor don't dig mud.. Now, where are some good spots to fish above Alton, I'm not having any luck finding fish, it's my 1st year on the river and I don't have a fishfinder to find the holes... I'm about ready to go back to fishing Lakes...:sad2:

2. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    You should try putting in at columbia bottoms by the chain of rocks bridge on the mo side. It has a nice boat ramp and your about three miles from the mississippi. If you ever come down this way let me know and i can show you some good spots.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One thing for sure it will be hard if you dont have a depth finder up there and you gotta watch out too because the sand bars will come up on you pretty fast and you gotta watch your depth. I would fish the islands up around Grafton, but either way you will prolly need a finder to find the best places.

4. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How far is the columbia launch (chain of rocks bridge) you are talking about from the alton dam? This is my first year taking a boat up there and I don't want to have the problem that hickshhh is talking about. Thinking about fishing Alton this Saturday evening...could use some pointers. How are you all catching your skipjack (using a casting net or actually fishing for them)? Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

5. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    wayne, chain of rocks is just south of the 270 bridge. when ever you go over you will see the old light towers.
    go north first exit from ill. that is columbia bottoms you are there. there is a main gate up the road at the fitters golf course then a couple miles across the bottom. real nice set up.

6. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    When you but in at columbia bottoms go down the mo about two are three miles. You will come to the mississippi, make a left , going up river and I would say the damn is for are five miles up.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Wayne.. You won't have any problem with your boat at the dam, mine is a 15 1/2 ft crestliner.. open bow... trihull... fiberglass... It's heavvvvvy... Thats why I have a problem there.. The problem with Columbia Bottoms is that they lock the gates at 10 pm...