Mississippi River 5/6 and 5/9

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by oldstylelight, May 10, 2007.

1. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    went out last sunday in the 30 mph wind and struggled. was very limited by where we could go so ended fishing out of the wind below the rollers and managed 8 fish (from 9 am to about 2 pm. ) not good. but cant be picky. i fish when i can, not when it is right.

last night i went out on our new pontoon by myself (that is parked at the marina in a slip, excellent!@) was out for one hour and caught 12 cats for probably 25 or so pounds . was very fun as fast as i could do it. I would have loved to troll some bigger bait through that area but kind of limited from a pontoon boat though. I am the only pontoon boat on this part of the river with rod holders out the back and brand new bench seats up front. I will try to post pics when i get the chance.
    to start the evening, i baited up 2 poles before casting out. before i threw the 2nd one out, the first one had a fish on , before i could reel in the first fish, the second pole had a fish on . A 2 and a 4lber to start the day. That is why we fish.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dave congrats on the new pontoon. Sounds like you have a good setup. Also, thanks for sharing your trip. Glad you caught some fish. Sounded like fast action.:big_smile:

3. kmccoy

kmccoy New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Melch,

I'll be in Bettendorf this weekend. Are you going to take me fishing, so I actually have something to write about on here?:roll_eyes: I have only caught a 3 inch sunfish in my life and that was in middle school.

Anyways...it's been to long...hope to hear from you soon.

Kara

4. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dave, anytime you dont want to take the pontoon out, let me know. Now that the in water boat show is over its time to put the boat to work. I havent even got the rods in it yet.

Duane

5. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's why we keep going fishing even when it's bad...because those times when they bite like that are such a hoot.

I like to see the pics of your pontoon. A pontoon would make a nice solution for me on Coralville but it would be hard to haul around.

Mike.

6. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One of the dockhands was in Bettendorf this afternoon dropping off a boat at the Marina at Isle of Capri and a guy came in with a livewell full of cats between 3 and 5 lbs. Said he had been out for about 2 hrs. I added oil to the dip bait and got the poles by the door.. Now if the weather would cooperate...