Mississippi locations

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by RickfromLafayette, Jun 9, 2009.

1. RickfromLafayette

RickfromLafayette New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm new here. Coming from Lafayette, where's the closest boat launch for putting in the MS? Also, where's a good place to start fishing for cats? Bait?
    I'm getting tired of the Vermillion River...wearing that place out.
    Thanks for any tips.

2. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Welcome to the BOC. There is a ramp on the east side of the river below the I10 bridge. We haven't done too well in the BR area. For you, the next nearest ramp that I am aware of is in Donaldsonville, on the west side. We fish a couple of miles from that one, although we put in off the levee a couple of miles from there on the east side. Now, I believe the water is too high to put in on any of the 3 spots. Hopefully it will drop soon.. Check out the BR area posts to get an idea of how we do. Take care

3. RickfromLafayette

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Denny.
    I forgot that the river is high now. I follow the Basin flood levels and completely forgot about the MS itself. I quit bass fishing and am just getting into, and enjoying, catfishing.
    You guys area wealth of knowledge.

4. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC .

5. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Rick,
    You know, I was going to mention that your pic has an awfully funny lookin catfish on it!!!

6. Dog-dog

Dog-dog New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Rick Bayou Amy in Henderson was catching very good earlier in April. I still catch a few their on Worms. My want to check it out one day. It is a little closer. The most popular spot is behinds Pats restaurant. When their are cleaning crawfish at the plant the heads go in the Bayou its useally get them alive.

Good Luck and WELCOME ABORD!!!!!!!

7. RickfromLafayette

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Roy.
    Yeah, Denny, I need to catch a decent cat so I can change my avatar.
    Dog, I know Bayou Amy well, but not from fishing. I'm a regular at Pat's and Whiskey River. I thought about Bayou Amy. What kind of catfish are you catching there?

8. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    We catch 99+% bluecats. Odds are better to get a flathead if we use live bait, but we catch an occasional one on worms. Very rarely we will catch a channel cat. You have to look carefully to tell the difference. We let anything over about 6 lb go since we normally have plenty to eat anyway. Can't wait til the water drops a little more.

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Hey Rick welcome to the BOC. I've done my fare share of fishing the Vermilion...actually picked up a little blue today while testing out my new prop! I'm assuming you have a boat? I know a really nice place on the Vermilion very close to the launch that I've caught some decent sized catfish....just can't eat those fish, haha...just send a PM if you wanna know. You can try fishing south of Lafayette around in the Intracoastal Canal. You can launch out of Delcambre into the Delcambre canal or Don's landing south of Erath into the Boston canal. You'll be able catch redfish as well as blue catfish.

10. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Pierre,
    Welcome to the BOC.

11. RickfromLafayette

State:
    Louisiana
    Yeah, Stu,
    I have a 17' Tracker Pro Crappie. I usually catch a bunch of channel cats down around Abbeville and below. I haven't been able to find any closer to Lafayette. I can't PM you because I'm new and need to make 10 posts before I can do so.
    Rick

12. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Sounds like a perfect boat for the Boston canal! haha! check out my posts under "marsh catfishing" in the louisiana local talk. I may also try out near the atchafalaya in a week or so...it's dropping and I hear there are some monster catfish in there!

13. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC Rick. I myself am from Abbeville.:006:

14. RickfromLafayette

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey, thanks Scout.
    I see you like to fish the marshes down by Vermillion Bay. My buddy Keith and I are going down to Intercoastal City on Saturday to try out the Vermillion R and the IC. I don't know that area at all but Keith has fished and hunted there a few times.

15. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good luck Rick. I do not fish in the Summer but come Fall watch out lol. Maybe I will see you out there. Take care.:006:

16. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana

I went out this past Friday to the Atchafalaya around Melville, the water was on the last leg of the fall, most boats I've seen ever out there. We caught three little channel cats and one little flathead. We set out four lines and two had been poped and the others had nothing.