Mississippi Catfishermen! - what do you think about bowfishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by TonyJr, Jul 13, 2006.

1. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I was recently made aware of attempts to legalize bowfishing for catfish in mississippi.
    I was wanting to get MS residents ideas and opinions on this?

I'm not fond of the idea but I try to be open minded and was wanting to see what my fella catfishermen thought!!

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Lmao, I thought I was gonna see picture of a catfishing woman in daisy dukes, holding an ugly stick or something:embarassed:

3. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Sorry, Deltalover!! LOL I'll work on that one for my next tread!

4. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Dang Delta, that was exactly what I was expecting too!

:haha::dribble::doubt:

Maybe A.C.A.T.S or the BOC should look into this.
    _

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Great minds think alike I guess, cause I thought this was some pagent LOL..
    Though, would they have the most stinky section instead of the talent portion?

" I wish for all Cats to be huge, oh ya, and world peace" LMAO

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I personally don't think that bowfishing for catfish is that big of an issue. How often do you see catfish at or near the surface? If/when you do see them at the surface, do they stay there long enough to take a shot? I believe that nets and trotlines take more fish than any amount of bowfishing ever will. That's not to say that I'm opposed to those other methods of fishing either. I will say that I think that nets and lines have hurt the catfish population in my area but I can go with the flow as long as it's legal. I'd rather see creel and length limits on cats and see them enforced than ban a particular type of fishing.

I don't think bowfishing for cats would have much impact.

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I'm with Joe. I think the $/lb on a catfish bowfishing trip would be so high that it wouldn't even be worth it.

8. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i don't know enough about bowfishing to say one way or the other ........however, anything done at nite with a light can be productive, so i would have to say no to bowfishing for catfish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,seems to me there are plenty of things to shoot besides catfish... what would be next , bass and bream or crappie..........

9. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm with Steve on this one. The bow hunters I know do not fish for food, rather for sport. You can't release a cat shot by arrow so I want to give a big "NO" to allowing it. In Mississippi or any other state. I like the idea of creel limits, but not size limits. Some people fish for food and it would suck to go out and catch only one and have to release it because it was over 20 lbs. Just my humble opinion.

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm not from MS, but I am against it. Most guys i know either eat what they shoot or give it to somebody who will, but I'm not really for bowfishing for cats. If somebody sees a big cat and shoots it. It is going to die. Look at some of those big gator gars people shoot. If an arrow goes through a fish it isn't going to get the swim another day.

11. missed mallards

missed mallards New Member

State:
    Leland, MS
    I bowfished a solid year and never once had a chance to shoot a catfish. bream, bass, and crappie could be shot but cats never showed there selves. I neither for or against it.

I don't really see the need in shooting them though. there are plenty bowfin, carp, buffalo, and gar to go around.

12. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I believe there are enough true rough fish to shoot. I would vote against it.

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    there is no such thing as bowfishing. you can kill a fish with a weapon but you can't fish with a weapon.

whats next gunfishing.

14. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    I guy I used to work with would bowfish for gar. I asked him what he did with them after he shot them.
    He said, "I practice catch and release". :lol:

My opinion on bowfishing for cats? It won't put a dent in the population. I would rather see a ban on nets.

15. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    No way, I would vote against it. Catfish is a sport fish and should be caught with a R&R. It doesnt bother me seeing people bowfish for the Asian carp or other fish that are harmful to all the species in the water, but to bowfish a catfish, Im totally against that!

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    if it's legal I don't care if you do but if you do then say it like it is.

Say

I am Danny a fish killer, or you could just say hello I kill fish. Just don't call yourself a fisherman, like I said before a bow is a weapon, if your going after a fish with a weapon then you are going fish killing, your not fishing. When you catch a fish you can look at it and decide if you want to eat it or let it grow for the next generation to catch.

Bowfishing...LOL...LOL...LOL

17. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm all for it. It seems lots of you haven't been bowfishing. There is no difference than someone catching a stringer full and a bowfisherman shooting them to eat. It was made legal in Tx and Ky. and many other states and it will be there too. Ky. has bowfishing catfish with 5 a day. It doesn't make an impact at all. It's something that people never tried so why not jump on the band wagon. Look at the carp and gar population, bowfisherman can take as many as we want here in ohio and the population doesn't have a dent in it. I'm with Dave they should ban nets and have them banned.
    BTW Fishman, I'm a fish killer of carp and gar and I do shoot catfish in the ohio river and Ky. (with a Ky. lic. of course). Some are whining it's a game fish, you can bowfish pike in Alaska. Is that not a gamefish too. The DNR sees that there is a need for bowfishing and that is why it is legal.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm not geting down on anyone but when you say it makes no difference you might not be correct,I guess it"s how you look at it. Maybe it makes no difference to some but whenever I see someone or think of someone shooting the fish that I take special care to return alive then it makes a difference to me in that it makes me feel sad. I do understand that my feelings must be kept to myself because I don't believe in control mesures to acomadate how people feel but knowing this does not make my feelings go away. It does matter and make a difference it is just that it doesn't matter that it makes a difference.

19. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Fella's thanks for all your imput! I can see both sides. I agree with FishMan. I'll fight it in MS!! I do agree 100% that nets are hurting the pop as much as anything also. That's a comercial type fishing that I wouldn't know how to start to fight! Again, thanks for all point and opinions!

20. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Bowfishing is a visual stalking technique...one on one with the fish...if you see surface or shallow cats that much in the first place...which usually you don't. As long as bowers (and anglers for that matter) fish and utilize their catches responsibly, and the cat population is such to sustain it I'm all for it. Bowing is just one more recreational opportunity for sportsmen, and in the case of cats, a LOT less damaging to populations compared to jugging and commercial netting. For those so concerned, fighting bowfishing but support (or not also fighting) jugging/commercial netting is a no brainer to me...support bowfishing and you support and strengthen your fellow sportsmen.