Mississinewa

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, I have some questions, some comments, and some complaints... I brought them here for help, advice, and listening ears!

First of all, I would like to say I was impressed with Mississinewa for my 1st time ever overall sight of it. The place has a massive dam and sweet looking spillway compared to others I have been to.

2nd, I must say after taking a couple different paths to fish the spillway I was ready to die right then and there. Lugging a 80 lb tackle box considering the path was loose/sloppy/splashy mud, it SUCKED! Oh, did I mention the path was maybe 3/4 of a mile long to the fishing site? I think we actually took a few wrong turns which made it longer....

3rd, ok after getting to the spot to fish and setting up a bit we got the lantern out and turned it on, during this entire time frame we see/hear at least 8 - 9 fish jumping/flipping/rolling etc... I mean they was doing everything but coming right up to the bank for us to grab by hand.

But we notice the lights at the house across the spillway from our fishing site went off. Next thing we hear is what sounds like rock(s) hitting the water. We after that the lights came back on for a few minutes, and then shut back off. Everything was quiet, no fish sounds any longer, then a couple more guys fishing showed up. A couple hours went by, no bite, no fish sounds. Then all of a sudden they started moving around again, same as before. And as soon as that happened the lights in the house came on, and then here comes a guy from the house down the steps to the water again and same repeat thing again. And the fish stopped doing anything again, has anybody experienced this at the spillway/tailwater before?

I personally think the resident was feeding the fish with something that he throws in the water....

Let me just say, I threw every bait I had at the fish that night, cut shad, stink bait, "custom" baits (homemade), nightcrawlers, dough baits, everything you could imagine...

Anybody have any comments/suggestions?

2. badboy19379

badboy19379 New Member

State:
    Denver, Indiana
    think i might have fished that exact spot all day on the 4th and a guy was cooking out and had a pole on his dock threw out in the water he kept comming down checking his bait if its the spot theres a lil fenced off building and a wire that hangs across the river suposed to be a deep hole i had 1 short run in the 6 or 8 hrs i was there in rain

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    That is the exact spot, where the power junction box is. I was told that is where the "deepest" spot but didnt prove anything to me fishing it.

4. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Jim, I've fished Missisinwa last sept. I didn't have any bites at all, but the possibility of someone feeding the fish is a good possbility.:embarassed::sad2::angry:

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I plan on going back to Mississinewa the weeked of 18/19 or 25/26 and fish from evening into the night. Maybe I can figure something out then...

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    The power line is a good spot at times. If you want a bunch of eaters fish in the tank next to the outlet with crickets. Fish the point where there is kind of a bay, about 100 yards from the dam. That current break can be great for crappies.

7. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I appreciate that, I might give that a shot. Better than being skunked!

I really would like to catch some fish I have never caught before, and I know that this reservoir contains a few species I have never caught...

I did fish by the power junction box, where the power lines are, they was right over top of us.

8. duff

duff Guest

It's been a long time since I fished the spillway. Saw some mexican dude snag a spoonbill one night and land it. He was about as proud as one guy gets.

I never did catch very many good sized cats but we'd catch a few decent channels and always hear of the guy who caught a monster flat the day or week before. Used to be a good place to pick up eyes too. Stink bait would get you lots of little cats and crawlers would get you lots of hits.

We caught just about any type of fish around down there it was just a good place to go on a nice hot summer night and swat skeeters and smell dip bait....Ahh those were the days:smile2:

Good luck. Salamonie was supposed to be good but I never did make it over there.

9. colt1888

colt1888 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Never had much luck myself at the spillway, for anything. When I go there, i usually fish the lake. If you wanna give it a try, there is a spot out past the spillway, just keep heading east till you come to the first stop sign. Take a right and follow it to the bend in the road, there will be a dead end sign. Take that road, it will take ya back to a parking area and then u can walk down to the lake. There is a cove back there and i have seen many cats caught in there. I fish it for crappie but i have caught cats there myself. Last time i was there was about a month ago and i seen 2 cats caught that were probably 8 pounds a piece. I think they were blue cats. but they could have possibly been channels too.

10. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I have a few things to try now, not to mention a little different style for this weekend... I appreciate everybody giving/sharing information for this location. I will keep ya'll posted.

11. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jim I live in peru about 10 minutes away from the res. Personally I would give up fishing right there, its way overfished. I think the biggest I've managed was about a 4lb. There are better spot to fish if you fish the miss river, like coonhunters, okie ponokie (supposedly haunted but I've camped there several times), or 124 bridge. But if you looking for a monster I can take you to a few spots in the area, I just have to make sure your blind-folded so you don't know the exact locations of my secret spots! Ha jokin, but I have heard of people catching nice ones out there, but my 51lb flat has been the biggest cat caught in my area so far this year that I know of. And there is a bigger one lurking in the area that laid claim to one of my poles. Pm me if you are interested in fishing some of my "secret" areas.