Mississinewa Pollution

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by gone_fishin, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I have always liked fishing below the spillway at Mississinewa. Well lately I have noticed a lot of trash and dead fish that people leave. I fished there 3 weeks ago to fish my favorite spot and found trash of all sorts. Someone left packaging for two of those prepackaged Zebcos, a bunch of cut bait rotting in the sun, clothes, underwear, and a bunch of other trash. The rotting fish are disgusting, I just don't find them in one or two spots, I find them scattered all around the spillway. It smells and makes the bugs awful. Not to mention I haven't even seen a Conservation Officer out there for the longest time. What can be done about this.

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I carry a trah bag and will pick up the area. If i had a spot like that i would cll the CO's and report it.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That's a common scene here in the big city on about any public waterway you fish. I think there's a lot of people living along the river in camps and stuff like that. And people are really careless with their castnets, they always seem to throw it out and catch like 75 fish shad, sunfish, occasional bullhead and they will just leave all these fish sitting up on the bank to rot away into nothing. So many times I find little mounds of decaying fish that somebody didn't feel like putting into a freezer bag and taking home with them for a future trip.

4. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    justin, just think the city of marion dumps real sewage into the mississinewa river every time it rain's. they have warning sign's everywhere along the river in marion. i have no respect for people that fish and leave trash.

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    True "sportsmen & women" don't conduct themselves in this manner. These were just "slobs" passing thru that evidently fished little, nor cared little for the sport, it's future, or the outdoors.

Like many times, the "good" people have to pick-up after the "bad" ones.....

Smitty

6. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    It's painful to me. It's like that at the dam where I fish on the St. Joe River. I usually make a point to grab at least one piece of trash as I go. I don't know how it's going to go, but I'm going to contact someone at the DNR to see about having a sign made that reads "Please keep this area beautiful. Take your trash home." I've been thinking about it for some time, but your thread has motivated me to follow through. Thanks.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It's like that everywhere. Thats why so much access gets closed to fisherman. I do'nt see it changing untill people start going to jail for it!

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    People would probably get fined if there were actually Conservation Officers patrolling and watching the area. I think I will contact the DNR about this.

9. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good idea I was there twice last weekend and couldn't believe that there were so many dead fish laying on the bank that vultures were along the river feeding. I'm glad we have all of you guys who help out to pick up trash because thats, that much trash that would be floating down our rivers.

10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Another thing, I haven't even noticed any trash cans down by the peoria fishing site. I think there might be one or two trash cans up by the spillway. I think if there were some trash cans people might start using them.

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    YUK! I saw a CO write a ticket for a guy sinking a beer can. The CO then came out and asked for my perrmit life jackets etc. I asked what the the ticket cost the guy he said $50. That beer had better of tasted good! The state law says we have to have a trash bag in our boats. Maybe everyone fishing should have one. Oh all the Cos seem to be on Lake Freeman and Shafer LOL
    Bill

12. jim701

jim701 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think that would be a great idea to have to have a trashbag in your possession whenever fishing.It wouldnt be that hard to keep one in your box or boat.Maybe we should write our congressman to put this into law.It seems like there are always a small amount of people that ruin it for evryone else.

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you have trash cans in your area consider your self lucky. The state of indiana no longer provides trash cans at most public places. go to a state park and read the signs. But we can pay millions of dollars for a losing football team that only a relative few people care about. Outdoors people don't kick back enough to the politicans.

14. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great post Justin,

I think this issue deserves our attention. I get frustrated every time I go fishing because of the trash floating along the shorelines. I know the leftover bait smells and is disgusting, but I'm more worried about the plastics and styrofoam containers left laying around. It takes millions of years for that stuff to decay. I would take pictures of some of our local waters to show you all, but am too ashamed. I'm not sure if this would work, but what do you all think about banning plastics/styrofoam from all packaging related to fishing - camping? I know there are other sources, but this should cut down on the amount. More trash cans or making people possess trash bags would not work in my area. I think it boils down to just plain laziness and lack of respect. Hell, much of the trash is plastic bags people brought there stuff in or even ice bags. I really do not like the tree hugging terrorists that plague us, but I would support tougher littering legislation.

15. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    AMEN to that brother! I'm sure all the homeless & unemployed will get alot of benefit from that new stadium as well though. Don't forget the Jap money now "renting" our roadways....... :0a14:

Smitty

16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Its a good idea but I doubt they would ever ban plastics/styrofoam. More trash cans are a definate need. I don't think I've seen any at Mississinewa.

17. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The guys are right , Indiana state property has a "carry out your trash" policy, no trash cans at the beaches either. I stopped fishing at Peoria (spill way) because I don't want my kids to see the bad qualities of the "slobs". The foul langue, the throwing trash down, the fish left to die,the drunk loud mouthes, and the piles of trash and dead fish. In the heat of summer it smells more like a landfill than a "family fishing" spot.

You get these "slobs" snagging fish like the law dosen't apply to them, cussing, loud, drunk idiots that have no idea what fishing is about or how to do it. These "slobs" go to Wal-mart, buy the biggest, cheapest, spinning combo, tie a 10/0 hook with 3 oz. weight and 1/2 lb of chicken liver. They line the banks shoulder to shoulder and reel the line in with the open face spinning reel on top (wrong way) and they all think there Babe Winkleman. They will cast over your line and it's your fault. They will set up right next to you when there is no room. I heard a guy telling another guy that his rod and reel could bring in a 30 lbs cat, is was a $10.99 zebco 202 combo . That he catches 12" bluegill all the time, I could go on all day. I got a 10' jon boat so now we go along the dam or into isolated coves. It's sad the CO's don't make more bust there and clean it up. They care more about life jackets and launch permits.

Sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad.........

:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

18. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    the is one trash can i know of. its up by the maps under the pavillion looking thing. ans it was full. no one emptied it in a long time. as for the bait laying around, it may smell and draw bugs, but atleast they are not throwing it into the river which is illegal.

19. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish a lot all over Northern Indiana and I see this all the time too. Just this past weekend I went to Pigeon River to fish and we pulled up at Ontario Dam and what do we see? I guy from Mississippi (plates anyway) emptying his trunk of trash by throwing it in the woods right by the dam. He was throwing ice bags, cans, bottles, and papertowels. My buddy started yelling at him and told him to take his trash with him back to Mississippi. The guy had the nerve to say " Put some *&*% trash cans out and I'd put it in the trash instead!" I couldn't beleive it. We told him to take it with him. I think he realized we were upset so he picked it back up and put it all back in his trunk. He left though and who knows what he did with the trash after that. I have lost so many fishing spots on the shore because of guys like that. I wquldn't recommend confronting anyone about it just because you never know what your getting into, but it is hard to keep your mouth shut sometimes. I wish we had more outdoorspeople higher up in Government so we could have some more federal funding for more coservation officers on our rivers and lakes. I know just in the last 15 years I have seen a dramatic decrease in officers patrolling here in Indiana. If you have an area that keeps getting trashed, I say call the Governor and Senator. Tell them you want more conservation money allocated. If they get enough calls, maybe they will listen. If not, I wonder what my favorite places will look like by the time my two daughters are old enough to fish. Tight Lines and Screamin Clickers to Ya!

20. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Next time this happens, write down the vehicles plate number and call 1-800-847-4367 (TIP-IDNR) I keep this number in my cell phone and report anything I see that I know is wrong.