Mississinewa Lake IN 3/14/09

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Shad Man, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well wellman450r and I hit the lake today and had a little luck. We got a total of 1 channel cat!!! It probably went about 3 lbs but it was fun. We fished the northern part of the lake a few hundred yards downstream of the SR 13 bridge in the river bed in about 25 foot of water. We had alot of hits but the cats were just nipping at the bait. The catfish that we did catch was swelled up like a tick (full of dead shad). If anyone needs some bait the shad were thick around the wind blown side of the lake. We also tried near the Red Bridge ramp and below the spillway but didn't get any hits. The water temp was around 44 to 46. Colder the farther upstream you went but the cats seeded to be more active upstream.

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the report Justin! I'm planning on spending some quality time down there this summer. I'm planning on picking up my new boat tomorrow so in a week or so I'll be down there! Miss. has a real nice CCF population and I know there's flatties in there too.

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah I have always did well there. Sometimes even at the dam but it seems to get a lot of pressure and no one down there throws them back.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, not much CPR below the dam LOL. There are some nice cats in there. The DNR shocks the tailrace & down a bit every August to collect fish for the tanks at the State Fair. They usually roll some pretty nice flatties and paddlefish. It's alway an interesting day to watch them shock.

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the report.

6. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Let me know when they shock the water. I have never seen this up close and think this would be interesting to watch. Thanks.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Allen, they usually do it right before the the State Fair. When that time rolls around I'll try to remember to find out a specific date & let you know. You try to remember to have me do that too!!!

8. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

dont hold me to this because i havent witnessed it personally.. but i was told camp atterbury shocks fish once a year, usually on their free fishing day... they shock to show people the species that are in indiana waters....might contact them and ask, if its something your really interested in..

9. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I think me and "pops" are gonna try our luck in the Mississinewa Reservoir in the coming weeks, anybody got anything they would like to share with first timers to this place? We are seeking catfish, any species... And a approx. area to fish? in times past, at all the other lakes fished we usually ended up fishing the spillway/tail water area below the dam, looking at the earlier posts in this thread that area might be a place to avoid...

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've only fished Mississinewa once for catfish & that was last year from shore under the Mississinewa Road bridge (the bridge closest to the dam) on the south side of the reservoir. I hooked one nice cat but didn't get a good hook set & lost him. When I was with the DNR we netted Mississinewa and hammered some really nice channels out there. Most them were captured on the north side of the reservoir in some of the larger "coves". But that was in July so I'm not sure where they would be now. Like I said, I haven't fished there but once. I have hit Salamonie in early spring & done pretty well below bridges where the channel/reservoir narrows.

In the past there were a couple guys on the BOC that fished it relatively often. I haven't seen them on since last year but perhaps they'll check in and give you some real advice!

11. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I appreciate the info you have given me!, I am always willing to listen... I just know I am ready for my lines to be wet, and my clickers to "sing". I didnt realize just how much I missed fishing the few years I was "away"!

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Right now the channel cats seem to be in deeper water in the river channel and along the drop offs on both sides. If you got a boat and a depth finder head north and try some of the deeper holes in the old river bed. If its still warming up you may want to try some of the flats up north as well. We tried to fish the wind blown side were the shad were stacking up but we didn't even get a bite. But most of the time when I find this type of situation I hammer them. The dam can be good. I fished it last summer. It was just a little to crowed for me. The fish also ran pretty small. Most of them didn't go over a pound but it was still fun.