Mississinewa flathead catfish, whats your biggest?

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishpatrol, Mar 23, 2009.

1. catfishpatrol

catfishpatrol New Member

State:
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I was wondering how big the flatheads get at Mississinewa res. Ive caught several but the biggest one i caught there was only 6 pounds. Has anyone caught any monsters there?

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've never caught one there. I've seen some decent ones taken in the upper section of the reservoir and also below the dam.

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I have seen a few caught below the damn but they never made it back to the water. Too bad certain people have to keep everything and then complain because the fishing sucks.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Funny how that works, huh?

5. catfishpatrol

catfishpatrol New Member

State:
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I only keep farm raised fish from pay lakes.

6. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I dont keep anything, I buy fish at the grocery! Anything I catch myself I put back after I take a picture, with the exception of my baitfish aka bluegills. They sacrifice for the good of catching a flat!

7. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping a few smaller channels to eat but keeping a mature flathead blue or channel to eat is ridiculous. Well thats just my opinion. These fish take years to growth that big if they are lucky enough to make it. I have read studies where they say that out of a million flathead eggs that are laid only one makes it to over 10 lbs. With that said I would rather let the big boys go to fight another day. Plus big fish typically do not taste as good as the small ones.

8. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I totally agree 100%, if we want these catfish populations to thrive we have to regulate ourselves on the amounts of fish being taken, when these fish get to be trophy size fish they are not that good eating anyway.

9. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Amen Justin, if you read any report that talks about the "trophy" bigger sized fish they tell how much these fish consume over a life span either feeding, spawning, or just living in the depths of whatever body of water. Most bigger cats are known for mercury and lead levels not safe for human consumption, why continue to take the trophy fish? really people come on, be smart here.

Not to mention the fact that when the trophy fish get to a bigger size, they say there is a possibility of them spawning more young, so why do something that will ruin fishing for generations to come?

10. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

actually i think its more often the ones taking the bigguns, are selling them to paylakes and such rather than eating them.. still not a good thing though.. indiana does have laws on this, but it still happens.. the guys catching/selling them dont care about the fishing, its all about the 20-30 dollars they can make..:confused2:

11. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think you hit the nail right on the head Kyle...don't get River Scum started on the subject!!! It's a HUGE sore spot with him (as it should be with all of us!). You'll get him all fired up & ruin the rest of his week LOL!

12. catfishpatrol

catfishpatrol New Member

State:
    Kokomo, Indiana
    its good to see people care about catfishing enough to really fish back to where they belong, especially the bigger trophy catfish. last summer i seen a guy keep what looked to be a 35 or 40 pound flathead, and if thats your thing then whatever but you wont get any respect from me. I took everything i have to not go over and toss that fish back in the water. All im saying is if you keep fish, and i do once a year, but please only keep smaller ones. Think of other fisherman who could have a chance catching that 10 pound channel cuz it may be the biggest they ever catch in their life.

13. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I agree with you on this. Back in SE Ohio where I am originally from this is a big problem. There are laws against it but how do you regulate it. I feel that the DNR should make random checks to pay lakes and check there stocking records to find out where there fish are coming from. But if they do not have anything written down and pay a guy for his fish with cash how do you catch them? Well its a sore subject with me and I don't have any good ideas on how to control it.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well there goes my week. lol

Justin your rite about no good way to control it. it will just take time and will run its corse like the bass world has. im sure we will always have fools that exploit wildlife, but im also sure it will get better. people are getting more educated every year and places like this help tremendously!! all we can do is spread the word guys.

catfish patrol, those "farm raised" fish mite not be what you think they are! most of the people involved in "pay lakes" are just in it for the money and dont care a bit about the fish or the ones eating them. not all those places are corrupt, but please do your homework for your families sake! the fish could have very well come from a non consumption waterway.:sad2: welcome to the b.o.c. family too.

15. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Excellent point Tim!

16. catfishpatrol

catfishpatrol New Member

State:
    Kokomo, Indiana
    yeah thanks river scum. i think im gonna start getting all my eating fish from the store and only keep baitfish. I never thought about the fish in pay lakes coming from polluted waters.:eek:oooh: besides i always feel terrible killing catfish.

17. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    For instance, paylake in waverly bought a 72 lb blue cat they use for big fish contest... it was purchased from someone who was a frequent fisher in rivers and reservoirs!!!

Where is the integrity here?

18. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah river scum is right. I know for a fact that commercial fishing can be conducted in the state of Indiana where the fish have an advisory on them. They can and are sold to markets and restaurants in this state for human consumption. Pretty screwed up if you ask me. I guess I will just stick to my vegetables like the rest of my PETA friends. HAHA Yeah Right!!!

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    your welcome for the insight but look into the store stuff too my friend! fillet o fish are carp netted from large reservoirs in the south.:eek:oooh:

20. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Myself I really don't eat fish at all, ocasionally I might have a filet-o-fish from McD's or BK but besides that, not much. My friends and family have told me " for someone who lives to fish as much as you do, thats odd" But I don't think so. Go figure!!!!:eek:oooh: