Mission lake @ Horton

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by rush_60, Feb 17, 2009.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I dont think to many of you live near horton but the kdwp is planning on dredging mission lake to make the fishing better. I think its a new program that they are starting where they dredge community lakes. They have been planning horton for around 5 years and I think its one of the first on the list. They are having a public meeting feb 28, 10:30 am @ the elementry school in horton. I'm going to try and make it, and hear what they have to say. If anyone else is near that area, I hope you can make it.

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Used to swim in that lake 40yrs ago. I am certain it needs work on it now.
    It was a sad old mudhole back then but the old geezers remembered it as
    a sand bottomed swimming hole with concrete sides and lifeguards back in
    the Gay Nineties. Some things just don't age gracefully when they don't
    care to pay to have it maintained regularly.

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    They dont allow any swimming in their anymore. There was a guy that drowned out their while swimming in the 70's and I think that was the end of that. From what I've heard you can walk across it. I've got family in horton so anytime we had family things at the lake I would bring a pole when I was a kid. I dont remember EVER getting a bite. Now its filled with geese every winter, so they are filling it up even more with crap.

4. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Is Horton on the way to Sabeta?

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Depends on which way you are coming from. Plus who ever goes to Sabetha!

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Horton is probably 15 minutes east of 75 hwy, which runs between sabetha and topeka.

7. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    I fish there from time to time. wife got a 7# channel there last year. There are still some big flat heads. The city lets people water ski there and the water is very muddy.

8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I didn't realize there were any fish in their. I've never even seen anything jump out of the water. That water is muddy. Keeps the pond weeds down though. That water is going to get even muddier when they start dredging it. My brother had heard that they plan on taking 50000 truck loads of silt out of their!:eek:oooh: I havent heard where they plan on going with all that dirt.