Mission Accomplished

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KnotGillty, Jul 12, 2009.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    So a few weeks back I was reading a thread about this guy who was fishing with his son, when his son fell backwards into a BBQ pit and burned his legs really badly. For some reason the story hit home with me as I have two young kids of my own.

I had an overnight trip planned for channel cats and as fate would have it, my partner was unable to go. So I decided to send an invitation to CatMan(Cali), a guy I've never met or talked to, to see if he would be up for some channel cat fever. With the tough times he been through with his son recently, I thought maybe I should reach out to spread a little goodness and generosity.

We began fishing at 3:20 Saturday afternoon and got off the water Sunday morning at 10am. CatMan(Cali) (Sean) had the first fish of the trip, a 10 pound channel, within the first 20 minutes of having his line in the water. We ended the trip with 30+ channel cats in the boat. We had numerous doubles and even pulled off 3 triples, one of which is partially caught on video. Only 3 channels were under 5 pounds. All the remaining fish were 5 & up.

I'm really happy I was able to get Sean onto the best channel cat bite he's ever experienced. I'll let Sean tell the rest of the story from his perspective. One thing is clear, I'm confident he'll have a new avatar pretty soon.

Thanks for riding along Sean.

We took lots of pictures and I'll share more later. Here are two to get things rollin'

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on Randy. Sean will have som stories at the gathering:wink:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile: way to go !!!!

great story and pics !!!!!!!!!!! congrats

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Awesome! Congrats on your fish guys! Hope the little guy gets well soon.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Randy that's great you put sean and his son on those beautiful channel's ...Was that at clear lake?...Nice pic's by the way.

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is an awesome report and some very nice channels indeed. I saw a lot of those pictures and I am glad you gave Sean a good time. Spectacular fishing up that way to get dd channels like that as an average for your catch. Keep up with those clear lake reports and I may have to take out a loan to get up there right away. LOl

B

7. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Here are a few more pics from the trip. The first fish is an absolutely beautiful channel cat. I love that golden color. I gave the fish a kiss and released it back into the water.

I landed another fish I'll approximate at 16 pounds, that I never got a picture of. Sean was taking some video of me holding the fish when one of his rods went off. In my excitement to get the video camera out of Sean's hands, so that he could grab his torqued rod, I threw the fish overboard and then recorded Sean bringing in his fish.

Attached Files:

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :crazy:
    Hey Randy - That was a good move on your part to give Sean an invite. :0a24:
    :wink:
    Hey Big Sean - Now I Know that your trip up to Clear Lake will go down in the record books of your mine for sure. :0a23:

Great Job Fellows & Big ups two both of you!!!!!!!! :cool2:

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Those are some very beautiful channels there Randy:wink:

10. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Hey Robb, Sean might need your help buddy. We got some great video of our trip, but he was telling me on the boat that he is having challenges getting any video onto his PC. If he can't figure it out today, maybe you can help him one night this week?

Hey Sean, was anyone brave enough to sit next to you on the train on the way home? I'm sure you smelled pretty fishy. By the way, did you ever make it home man?

11. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    sorry if i missed it, but where did you land these beautiful fish?

12. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Those are some really huge Channel's. Good job!

13. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Clear Lake in Northern California.

All of the daytime fish were caught drifting in a 4 hour window (2 hours late Saturday afternoon / 2 hours Sunday morning). I don't have my fish log with me here at work, but I'll guesstimate that we caught close to 20 fish during that period. It was a good bite and the fish were super aggressive. Normally, 90% of my drift fish are hooked right in the corner of the mouth. On this trip, 50% of the drift fish swallowed the circle hook or were hooked deep. The fish were just slamming the rods. I finally got to the point where I smashed down the barbs on the circle hooks in order to make hook removal easier.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Man, sounds like they were biting frenzy:wink:

15. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Randy that gold channel is a beauty...I only hook into those once in a while over here.

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yep, it was a beauty. To catch channels like that is a dream, they were the most prettiest channels that size ihave seen:wink:

17. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    We caught all our drift fish in a 4 hour window (2 hours Sat afternoon & 2 hours Sunday morning). The rest of the fish were caught at night. The drift bite was off the hook with a bunch of doubles and even 3 triples. We set out some buoys to mark a specific area and drifted the same 1/2 mile stretch over & over.

We anchored up in two different spots. Once for the Heart concert, and another for the remainder of the night.

18. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    awsome looking cats! were will you be posting that video? youtube?

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Randy are you heading back up that way soon? Also hows the vid coming along? Would love to see the action shots.

B

20. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    The video is on Sean's camera. I guess he's been a little busy as he hasn't even replied to this report. I talked to him via PM today and he said that he hasn't even touched the video yet. Hopefully he chimes in soon.

But, I've got more pics at home that I'll post tonight of other nice channels we caught.

I'm hoping to get back out there this Saturday. Not sure if I can do an overnighter, so it may just be a rare day trip.