Missing?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Jan 2, 2009.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I hit the water yesterday w/ Powhatan and we had a interesting day. Last week he placed a post about rods going down and fish deciding they did not want to visit with him. I read all the stuff people suggested and I have fished with Chris several times and after seeing it first hand yesterday, it was so bad we were laughing, crying, cursing and downright giving up. It was so bad even when Chris had his rod hung on some structure even that came off.:smile2: I had several myself load the rod up, pick it up and start to fight only to have the fish decide otherwise. One fish in particular put my tip in the water and I could hardly get it out of the rod holder only to break me off:confused2: whatever he was he was big, score one for the fish.

But on a serious note the amount of fish that got on and off was the most I had seen. And it's not like Chris is a rookie.....he knows his stuff, hooks, hook placement in the bait etc. We even met up w/ some other anglers and gave them some bait and they said they were having the same problems.

Oh yeah, I'm no Jim Duncan but the weather report yesterday was cold! That was probably my first trip out that cold. Going down river at 8am @ 40mph in 30 degree weather is priceless.

I have a picture of my face :crazy: Not a joke that realy is me!

Happy New Year to all, and to all a warm night.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I had a solid hookup ratio yesterday (knock on wood). Not sure what is going on lately for you guys.

About the cold....yes, it was damn cold! Coldest I've ever fished in. I had double wool socks on and my feet stayed cold, even stuck a toe warmer in the boots and that didn't help. I kept my jacket on all day. I found a spot where the sun shined on me in the afternoon and that felt good for the two hours that lasted.

Never seen the tide so low in the DG area. I saw mud flats everywhere.

3. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I gotta tell ya fellas, my uncle and I have something new on our boat and it is by far the best thing weve done to the boat sense we got it. As long as you don't mind drillin a few holes in the boat somewhere it can be pretty nice. We decided to try a small dual burner propane heater. Yeah the tank is in the way but its only in there when it is absolutely freezing and man is it a life saver. you can just hook it up to the tank but we knew it would be hard on it if we let it fall while we were going from one spot to the next on the ohio river so we ran a propane line from the front of the boat out of the way to the back of the boat and mounted the dual burner about 3-4 inches off the floor. Absolute life saver!!! when your sitting there waiting for a bite you stick your feet down by the burner and you can watch your boots smoke. Not to mention when using frozen skipps for bait, after cuttin up bait put your hands down there and tadahhhh!!! We did manage to catch my uncles leg on fire the other day though while he was nettin a fish. That was absolutely hilarious. idiot jumpin around the boat trying to figure out how to extinguish his bibbs. Anyways just thought id throw it out there. if you do it you will never go without it again. Im one of those people that if my hands or feet get cold it can ruin my trip. we fished on the coldest day of the year here in ohio about a week before christmas. didnt have one problem. my boots were sssssmokin. Try it fellas. Tell ya what also is nice, the propane tank lasted 4 long fishing days running all day. We figured it would last 2 days tops so We figured it cost us about 7 bucks a day to not freeze to death. best money we have ever spent on the boat

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I was looking into getting one of those Portable Buddy Heaters. Sounds similar to what you're describing.

5. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Hey Jeff, I've had this happen on several occasions while fishing Blue's in the Potomac. Try this next time. Downsize the size if the bait to less than 2 Inch piece and Use a filet instead of a chunk piece, Also tie a stinger hook on a 3 to 4inch piece of mono. You will hook up 80% under these conditions Guaranteed. Works like a charm for me. I could'nt believe they could pull down and not hook up. A good friend suggested this to me and it does really work under these conditions.

6. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I believe we would be ready to try anything after the other day.

Thanks for the tip.

7. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    I got one of them heaters for the pontoon....just got back in town and ready to try it out ....Stop by and get warm if ya out Sunday:wink:

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks man, I'll look for the crowd of boats.:tounge_out:

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas

Those burners with the open flames can be real dangerous in a boat.... try this.. get some small expanded metal and make some flame guards out of it and screw them on the burner frames. This will at least keep ya out of the direct flames.

10. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    I think these are safer than the others (jmo)and 18,000 BTU:big_smile: got a 20lb tank and 20ft hose...

Attached Files:

11. Catmandu

Catmandu New Member

State:
    Virginia
    next time bite is like that try using bait clicker give em a chance to turn it around in there mouth cold conditions sometimes make em let go quickly works for us well just remember don't set the hook just point rod at fish and tighten drag then lift rod when fish is hooked up