missing the monsters

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 19, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how long do you wait to reel in a flathead after your poll bends is their a trick or just reel in and thats it, ive missed alot on gamma 8/0 circal, i must know

2. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    hello everyone hope everbodys been catching alot of flats i hav'nt got to go since last summer,but i am planning on going in a fews days,i believe alot of times when a person gets a hard strike or run and does'nt get a hook up it
    is gar,when a flathead takes a bait he ingulfs it they do'nt mess around that's my 2 cents worth

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    1st, make sure you are properly rigged. Done right, you'll know. You don't let a fish run with circle hooks.

How many have you missed where you've reeled in and the point of the hook is in your bait?

Try inserting your hook closer to the edge of your bait, usually no more than 1/8".

Your rod setup should be to tightline from a rodholder, with the drag set so that it is just below the breaking poit of either the rod or line. This means when Mr Flathead rolls up, he will hook himself.

Don't try to help the hook. A circle hook is designed to do its job by itself. Outside intervention only fouls things up.

Good Luck.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have to agree with Roger. I also believe that a lot of missed "flatheads" are probably other fish - gar, channels, etc. Also, You can't necessarily tell the size of a fish from the strike. Little fish will really slam a bait a lot of times and real big flatheads seem to just gently pick the bait up and slowly swim off.

My buddy fishes with circle hooks sometimes, and it seems to me that when he does, he misses more hook ups that I do. I use kahle hooks and leave the rod in the holder with the reel engaged until the fish hooks themself. I get a very high hook up rate this way and almost all of the fish are hooked in the lips or real close.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You can get some larger circles 10 and 12/0 from one of our sponsers Blackandbluetackle. That may help.
    The best way to get a circle to set is just hold still, the fish and the hook will do the work. Once he is hooked you'll know cause your pole will be bent and drag will be peeling.

I prefer gammakatsu octopus 10/0, J style hooks for flatheads. Just let the fish load up the rod then set hard.

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I think that one of the issues I have experienced is letting them run too long. This year I will not do that.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats good advice let the fish load the rod. except with the circles reel real quick a couple turns with the rod in the holder to set the hook.

8. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I have been using treble hooks recently and my hook up ratio seems to have gone way up.Owner stinger 2/0 2x.And hook baitfishh in the forehead. I also dont let the fish run too long with the bait before letting the rod load up and setting the hook hard.

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 8/0 gamma circles and i still set the hook.. LOL.. i like them to know im in control... But all the advise is right on the money.. Circles work spectacular when tightline fishing..

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Kahle hooks. :wink:

11. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My 2 cents would be use a jerk hook and wait till hes pullin hard.