Missing the Boat? - Catfish need to become game fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cattoo, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    you know i have been thinking about posting this thread for quite some time but i kept putting it off but i have to get it out. now i may be wrong and if so, so be it but here it goes anyway. it seems to me that a few brothers here on the b.o.c. dont seem to understand why this website is here. yeah its about comraderie and a place to learn and share knowledge and all that but one of the main objectives of this site and others like it is to get catfish classified as game fish by raising awareness to the fact that there are alot of people out there that would like to see this take place , giving catfishermen a louder voice. now that being said, can you think of any gamefish that by law, are allowed to be harvested limitlessly(size and creel) gigged, speared, noodled,trapped or netted? i cant. you know why? BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL TO HAVE FREE REIGN ON GAMEFISH THAT'S WHY!!!!! okay, im better now. just had to get that off my chest. let the games begin.:cool:

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cattoo, this should not be personal between you and me, and I did not mean to get on yer case. Most of all I didn't mean to detract from yer moment of happiness. Just poking fun; that's all. I know ya weren't noodlin'. Just a joke. On the serious side, I've seen plenty of illegal activity, and at one time I saw nothing really wrong with it. My mind change however didn't come from being bashed and talked down to. I had no idea there were so many catfisherman who CPR'd when I got to this site. I try, and can be as respectful as the next guy. But don't forget it's a two-way street. You can take yer time and think about what I'm saying, or ya can say whatever ya want to. It's up to you now whay kind of direction yer thread takes. This has been on my mind for several days also. I did not set out to ruin yer day.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    In Oklahoma, only flatheads are not classified as game fish. Channels & blues are game fish & cannot be noodled. Netting and trapping game fish in Oklahoma is strictly forbidden. Come to think of it, I don't think netting or trapping of any kind is allowed..... I'd better check.

Jerrod

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well catfish are a game fish here in Missouri. So I guess I'm lucky in that aspect. Sinker what other illegal activity do you see nothing wrong with? Mental note to self... stay far away from dead weights.... Oh well there's a lump 3 feet above everyone's @$$ some just need to try and use it. Personally I'm glad catfish are a game fish here and that there are so many people CPR'n here. I do think there are a lot more bigger fish then what people think. But with so many people releasing the ones they catch. It just makes it that much more fun to go fishing. I dream of the time where I can go fishing and catch 40# and 50's#+ every time out.

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    sinker, my thread was not aimed at you in particular. this is something i live and bleed everyday. you didnt ruin my day. i can take a joke. no harm done brother. its just i hate noodling so dang much! i've grown up seeing the effects that noodling has done on the big cat population around here and it makes me sick! i yearn for the day that flatheads as well as other cats are made game fish and given the respect they deserve. could you imagine the public outcry there would be if people were allowed to do to bass what they do to catfish? a bass isnt half the fish a cat is yet they have more protection than just about any fish. im tired of people looking at bass like they are made of gold and just seeing big cats as food. these awesome fish deserve more than that.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If catfish aren't considered a game fish in your state, then it's up to you to do something about it. Organize a grass-roots lobbying campaign among your BOC brothers in your state. Write your congressman. Contact the game & fish department in your state. Get folks involved. Make something happen.

This is a great time for folks to get changes made, as so many other states have already recognized the catfish as a legitimate game fish - so it's a lot easier now to put pressure on your state to do the same.

But if you just yell into the wind, it won't do any good.

I'm fortunate to live in Missouri where the catfish is already a game fish. I'm wondering how many other states that have a significant catfish population *don't* recognize them as game fish? Apparently Kentucky is one such state?

7. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok, Cattoo. Ain't nobody knocked any holes in my boat! I got axes of my own ta grind. Next time I think about throwin' a firecracker, I hope it ain't dynamite! Jim

8. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    As much as I hate to say it, I totally agree with cattoo. Catfishing is a growing sport, Although I do not want to see reach the level of bass fishing, it should be taken it consideration that when you take a big fish out of the ecosystem that you have taken a large breeder. I love to fish. ive heard stories of 300# catfish in the Old days, but they are not here now because of lack of conservation. please people use your head, selective harvest is the only way to keep our sport alive.

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I agree also but their are those here that don't, get ready their coming.

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well as most know i dont do a lot of cat fishing do more bass and trout and salmon but i do like to catch cats now and then i cpr all cats as i do not and will not eat them from this area. i also cpr all bass i only keep trout and salmon. but as far as noodeling and other things like that i do not see a need for it i feel that is not fishing. fishing to me means a pole and reel plain and simple. i would love to hook into a 40 or 50 pound cat but since there aint any to be found out here by me i settle for big salmon and tripers and not sure about sturgeon anymore thats up in the air. as far as a game fish dont matter to me either way as long as people would fish for them responsibly. but if that is what it takes is to make them a game fish then i say do it.

11. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Even if cats are recognized as a game fish i don't think it would help much
    besides who would enforce it i have fished many rivers ponds and park in ohio and indiana for years and i have never once seen a game warden but yes they should be monitored more heavily than bass and other game fish i was fishing at the dam in hamilton one night and all day it was just me and my son then about 10pm couldnt even thow a rod with out crossing some guys line

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    The biologists in NC want all the flatheads removed from the Cape Fear river.

In doing so they have permitted SHOCKING in a limited portion of the Cape Fear river.

i understand the dilema... the biologists state "flatheads are overpopulated and will eat all the sunfish".

You would be amazed how fast they are decimating the catfish population in that stretch of river...they not only take the flatheads but because there are no laws in NC protecting the catfish they take EVERYTHING they shock up..

I would love to see some kind of ENFORCED RESTRICTIONS be implemented for cats of all species.

13. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i didn't want to let you down RIP, so here i am. :) but, i am not gona totally disagree with all of you. there have been some very good points made. noodling should be outlawed. the only reason these cats are caught in these holes is because they are spawning. i love to eat cats just as much as anyone, but these fish need to be left alone. why in the world that someone that is a true catfisherman and loves the sport wants to take out the breeders during the spawn is beyond me.

as far as the cats becoming a gamefish everywhere, i do not agree with this at all. some states, yes. here in louisiana, no.
    the reason that i believe this, is because a lot of states do not have the fisheries that can withstand a commercial harvest. the bodies of water or states that cannot support this type of harvest should ban all commercial harvests and put strict limits on daily creels to ensure that the cats will be protected. on the other hand, bodies of water or states that have the ability to withstand commercial fishing, then it should be allowed.

with all that said, i still would like to express my wishes that even though i believe in the commercial fishing industries in certain situations and areas, that they are to lax in a lot of ways. here in louisiana there is no size limit to the cats that a commercial fisherman may keep. this is bad. those big fish are worth very little in dollar value, but very valuable for the future generations of the species.

just my 2 cents.
    eric cottrell

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I agree with ya, I reckon in places where they ain't in danger of depletion there don't need to be too much regulation. if they gettin too thinned out, then they need to be regulated to preserve the fishing.