Missing shad

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Dredge, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I've noticed everyone talking about a lack of shad this year.I heard there's a virus or parasite killing them off.I was just wondering if anyone else heard anything about this.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    finding plenty of shad here in NE Okla. Haven't heard about any problems.

3. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was reading the Kutter thread, they said they netted a lot of shad last night, on the Meramec. Im wanting to get a net and try it, but really have no idea where to go for them on the Meramec.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Last Monday on the Meramec. I was catching 20 large shad with each cast throw. Last night I wore myself out and nary a shad on that river. We didn't get any bait till we got out on the Mississippi and even though we got enough, it wasn't as much as I would have expected. Got 1-3 gar in nearly every cast, so that could be why the bait was hiding.

Dredge, I have not heard of a parasite or anything. I do believe the plankton eating asians are why we don't see the shad of years past. Simply not enough for both species.

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i went to bagnell on sat night, and brother i will tell you that we were in them deep. every throw would net tons of em. we were gettin so many at one time we were able to be real picky and only take the biggest ones...some over 10 inches! one throw even netted a 15 pound big head along with tons of shad.

6. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    At least the Blues seem to like Asians for dinner.If we do get a shad shortage from the Asians,we can use the culprit for bait.

7. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Was out Sat. at Alton and got shad. With the water up they get in the brush and hide.

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I wish shad were as easy to get everywhere just like at Bagnell. Usually I don't even bother with the cast net because you can just scoop as many as you want with a regular dip net up along that sea wall.