MISSING PERSON-miamisburg low dam

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Monsterkat11, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    went out tonight to our spot at the low dam on the great miami river in miamisburg, got there and saw probably 8 cops. i asked a guy what was going on and apparently his buddy was fishing there by himself, and dissapeared. all his stuff was there but he was no where to be found. everyones pretty positive the guy fell in. he could be caught up in the undertow of the spillway or he could be 50 miles down river.

before we headed out something told me to take another look by the spillway, my buddy spotted something darked popping up every once in a while so we called 911. the cops came out with the big spotlight and it turned out to be a log.

i urge everyone in the area to at least take a night out and look for a bit.

the only thing worse than losing a loved one, is knowing there gone, but not knowing where.

may prayers be with the family of this man, and may he be found so there is closure.

thanks for your time

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    You never know how long it will take for a body to float up.Many years ago a boat with 3 men in it turned over on a small river and and it took 5 weeks to find them all.Back years ago when I was on a SAR team we looked in a lake for 5 days for a guy that fell out of his boat.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i seen the emergency vehicles going yesterday in miamisburg after a day of fishing, pulling the boats and assumed there was an incident at the dam. i followed to check it out. the guys equipment, minow bucket, chair, etc was all there at the wall but no sign of him. the spot where he was fishing is very dangerous, one slip and you are in the water right in the boiling water below the lowhead. i hope it all comes out ok but it looks grim. the news said due to his recent heart trouble he was prone to passing out. it looks like maybe he was packing it up to leave cause one of his poles was broken down. i took a bunch of pics of the scene but it may not be appropriate to post them on here. there were some guys across the river fishing in a boat, they came over when all the em vehicles arrived and said they had been there a couple hours and seen the stuff there but no sign of anyone. was in the area also today and stopped by. apparently he is still missing, there was an emegency vehicle there still and they were watching the water.

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    that Hutchison low dam near Shepard road is very dangerous seeing those guys
    fishing on that wall on slip bye bye bye. that water is turning and rolling I hope is he is ok. kat

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have to tell you all to watch out and pay attention to what you are doing when fishing dangerous spots. Either on land or a boat, at a dam or durring high water. I came as close as I ever want to get to dying on the river. I climbed down this 1/4 inch plastic rope that was tied to the side of the outside of a lock-wall (so I could cast into the whitewater under the dam). 9 Feet down was a 2ft wide ledge I could stand on. 5ft below the ledge was the roiling waters 40ft from the dam. As i tried to climb back up after casting, the rope broke cause it was frayed, I had both hands on the top of the lock and a knot of the rope between my feet to stand on when it broke. I thought for a second or two that I wasn't going to be able to pull myself up. My arms started shaking, and the roar of the water got real loud. I don't know where the strength came from cause I was thinking I was gonna fall. I got on top and layed there for ten minutes. It was near 3 or 4 in the AM, and if I would heave fell no one would have noticed for hours cause I was alone. I havent tried to fish that spot ever again lol. I just want all you guys to take care and try to take a little bit common sense with you when out by yourself.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Is it realy worth loosing your life?I do not go up into the APRON or spillways although I watch alot of people do it,.........I just do not see where a fish is worth loosing my life over ?

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hate to even hear of stories of such.. lowhead dams are silent killers!! they don't look dangerous sometimes, but are hydro under flows!! i was on a fire department for 5 years and can say i seen enough in those 5 yrs. most won't in a lifetime!! any that has been in that knows what im talking about.. i have respect for the river period. but... the dams... i have a different respect for.. some of you may understand what im talking about... rollo

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have said before in other threads that high water, especially the 12hrs after a huge rain when the water keeps rising and most of the debris is falling into the river, like whole trees and 15ft logs, is the worst time to take a boat out. Its OK going downstream, you are going the same way as all the logs and trees,& trash. If you can find a spot out of the current to set up for the night so you are safe thats good. But as soon as you decide to move around in the dark with fast water rushing at you you could be swamped in an instant. Or if you anchor too far out in the current a log or tree could snag your anchor line and pull your boat under water while you are napping at 3 am. I have seen 3 whole 40ft trees float by me on high rivers. Countless big logs and branches that could harm a boat lol. And this is a small river with an average depth of 5ft. I have no clue what its like down on the Ohio, Mississippi, or Kansas. I imagine its ten times worse. Be careful out there guys. We want to see fish pics, not Obits.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Since I dont have a whole lot of experience in river fishing what are the differences in the dams? Is ellis a lowhead thats what I see most of when I do fish rivers (which isnt a lot LOL).

10. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    A low head dam looks like a waterfall, and there is no controlling the flow that is coming over it during high waters..The dams on the big rivers and such are gated off, and the lock master controls the flow of the water bby opening or closing the dam gates.

11. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If you do a quick search they dragged the river last night where he was fishing with out any luck.The police have got all his poles and gear.I know the great miami is at a pretty high stage by my house right now most places I bank fish are underwater.Its kinda eerie his family said in a local news story why was he going fishing they said he quoted The river is calling me.How many of us has said that.

12. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah unfortunately the cops said in that particular spot they've had people fall in or purposely go in...they said they usually don't find them for about 4 or 5 weeks, but when they do find them, it's all the way down by franklin. cops said they pretty much stay under all the way there too

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I drove by there last night and saw a police squad and a ems unit as well as maybe a dozen folks, some of which were standing right where he fell in, not too bright if you know what I am saying. I have waded all under that dam in low water, right up to the lip where the water meets, its about 4 feet deep and no real undercuts along that side, but some bigger riprap there, if he went in, I imagine he is caught in a strainer or eddy somewhere between Crains run and Franklin, the river makes a large turn to the right downstram of the dam, then goes straightaways for awhile through the old dam where there are lots of undercuts and big rocks to be found, Im guessing he is in that area, if he got through that area, the river mares a big outside bend turn to the right all along Franklin and he would certainly get caught along that outside bend in that area if he made it through the old dam area. Not pleasant but just like when the man and women went hrough Englewood dam last winter on the Stillwater, they searched the dam area for weeks and everyone knew they would be downstream, sure enough, about a mile downstream. sometimes the folks doing the rescues are not familliar with hydrology of how rivers work. Prayers out to the family and hope for a quick recovery.

Salmonid

14. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    we were at church and a guy at church knew him it and fished with him

15. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    So Sad!
    Everybody be careful this week-end with the water up.

16. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    just goes to show you should appreciate every fishing trip evan if you arent having any luck cause you never know when it could be your last.

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It is a tragedy for the family, but there is no other way I would like to go than to go out doing something I love. I have told my family many times if I become disabled, alzheimers sets in, or cannot care for myself, just to take me on my last fishing trip and there will be an accident. I am not saying in any way shape or form that this is not a tragedy. I have been in 2-3 very near scrapes with dams, boats and high water and am thankful for every day that the good Lord gives me here.

18. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    god's honest truth there I was fishing the mad river near eastwood metropark and the river rose a foot in 5 minutes then a big rush of water came after that you never know after i climbed up the embankment it was almost half way up it. I thank the good lord I have everyday above ground merry Christmas

19. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    does anyone have an update on this man? i think everyone is a little anxious for some closure with this whole situation.

20. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I agree, if he has been found (hopefully alive), Please let us know. If not, in light of the upcoming holidays, let this thread die until some real news comes through. It is so depressing. Everytime I see something new has been posted, I check hoping to find some news that he has been found safe and sound, just to find nothing of any value.