Missing fish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by great pappy cat, Jul 18, 2008.

1. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I consider myself to be a good catfisherman :cool2:. Ive been missing more fish than I care to admit lately. Id say like 15-20% mis.Tell me if youd do any thing differently 1st off. I like kahle hooks,I keep them very sharp. I hook the bait at the rear of the dorsal fin. Not to deeply and remove the scales from my hook point. I have 10ft. rods to help move more line to load the rod.I use the clikers on my reels.That said, When I get a run I try to remove my rods from the rod holders gently to not change the tension on the fish If hes headed away from me steadily Ill follow it untill my rod is pointed strait down at the fish then I disingage the click wind down fast untill i feel him and set the hook hard. Thats my favorite part I like to set the hook as hard as I can. My reasoning for this is to shock and disorientate it and get it comeing my way and win that 1st 10ft. Perhaps this is where Im screwing up setting the hook to hard?? Thats the Ideal situation.They dont always hit like that though so if I see that hard thunk of the rod tip when they strike the bait I gently pick up my rod and follow the fish keeping even tension on it utill he turns to move away from me.They dont always turn though. Very rarely will I hit a fish comeing tward me. Its just seems likely I could yank it right out of his mouth. Ill hit them sometimes if he gets on my nerves but only if hes moveing steadily.Lately they dont move at all they just sit there with it in there mouths.Even if I tug on it a little trying to get him to move nothing, just dead wait so I return the rod to the holder.Nothing happens untill I wind up to move and theres a fish attatched. Most of the fish I at least get a pc of.Is this all just part of the game? I know you can't get a hook in all of them. Just curious what you guys might have to say

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a string of bad luck to me. You are doing everything right for that set up. Perhaps you should experiment with some circle hooks.

3. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    You sound like you are doing it right, I would suggest one thing. Before picking your rod up, turn your clicker off and use your thumb to control the spool before picking up the rod. This is a method I use. The idea is to release all tension on the fish but the thumb is to control over spin so when you pick up your rod the fish will not know you are there. I have also gone to a dual hook set on all my rods. I use 10/0 circle hooks and 10/0 4x Octupus hooks. I hook one at the tail and one at the head so no matter where they grab the bait(if they don't take the whole thing at once) I have a hook in the mouth. There have been too many times where a cat has grabbed my bait and run and when I set the hook, miss the fish and when I real in to recast see that bait was bitten just below where I hooked my bait so I have eliminated that issue and haven't miss one since. I hope this helps and good luck.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't like to grab the rod until the fish loads up the rod (has pulled it down and it stays down). With Kahle hooks, they will hook themselves (just like a circle hook) if you let them. I also don't use the freespool feature on the reel, I will back the drag off till it takes about 10lbs of pull to take line off and engage the clicker, this way they can run with it and bury the hook at the same time!!!

5. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

15 to 20% miss rate sounds pretty darn good to me. That's the same as 80 to 85% hook set rate. I would be very happy with those numbers. Personally I'm pretty sure I don't have a rate anywhere near that high, because if I did I'd have to stop fishing in like 2hrs. because I'd already have as many as I'd feel like cleaning and my personal limit for cleaning fish anymore is around 6 to 10 fish depending on size. If I can't catch enough to make at least one mess of fish I'll throw them back, unless they look like they are gonna die, then I'll go ahead a clean them.
    Good luck on reaching a 100%.
    :smile2:

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You're gonna miss some. I have never fished with Kale hooks much but I do fish with the J-hooks and clicker almost exclusively for flatheads. I love setting the hook and like you said I believe that it helps you get them coming in your direction before he really knows what hit him. If you're only missing 10-15% of your hits that's pretty good. Maybe try to tweek a few things like hook size, leader length, and you may want to try braid if you're trying to set the hook at distance.

7. shane hershey

shane hershey New Member

State:
    pa
    joe i still think we're putting to much behind the hook set when there on thye run.and your gonna miss some .thats just the way it goes.besides you know all the fish we missed were state records right! lol.

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I had a long spell of that happening to me last year. I found it to be more small fish. I commonly fish the opposite bank so they commonly come towards me. I let them come all the way when they get there and turn away I'll set the hook. STill alot of misses but if you hit a good day when there actually feeding instead of pussyfutting around you'll see the difference.

9. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Circle hooks dont work in my river. If the fish feels to much tension he will spit it every time.I may expeirament with a quick strike rig. Thats a lot of tackle when you get stuck as much as I do.Shane I think your right. I dont think I half to sever their head from there body on the hook set.:smile2: Ill do a little expeiramenting this weekend

10. shane hershey

shane hershey New Member

State:
    pa
    i often wonder too if they are channel cats,their mouths are smaller so they have to turn the bait around more to fit it in their mouths.or they can't get it in at all and just try to swim away with it half in their mouth.dont know for sure,just guessing its possible.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Joe,

I have the same problem as you. My opinion is that it's smaller fish that can't throat the big kahle hookds we use.

I have downgraded my hook size to size 5 gammies and have had alot more hookups.

You can always winch your rod in the rodholder and let the fish hook itself. Remeber, before there were circle hooks, there were kahles!

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would say its smaller fish too. allthough if your hooked up for a second or two then pop loose it could also be gar.

13. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you might be ripping the hook out of the fishs mouth

if so you tie one heck of a knot

14. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I say it is smaller fish also, I often catch a small fish on my second rod after he his hit my first rod. I have been using Berkley Gulp Floating nightcrawlers. With a big fish they have no trouble getting it in their mouth, the little guys I might miss on one rod, but I get them on the second rod. Now I only talking channel here.

15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Try putting out a rod with smaller blugill or maybe some goldfish. See if they can get that down in one gulp. It's worked for me in these spots before.