Missing fish while setting hook

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by shortbus, Jun 22, 2006.

1. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Just got back from the river. I'm real tired so this might not come out right,lol. I had several good runs tonight on cut bait and live gills. I waited till the fish pulls the rod down hard and set the hook hard straight over my head. I missed all but 6 fish. Right when they pulled down I nailed them and nothing was there??? Two were big flatheads, they bent my med/heavy action rods down good when they pulled. I'm using 7/0 octopus hooks that I don't think are sharp enough, I try and run a stone over them to help. I've heard that you have to set the hook sideways/sidearm style on an octopus hook,is this true? Basically why did I miss these fish?

2. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I don't know how long you let them run but you might want to wait just a little longer. Are you fishing with the bail open/bait clicker on or with the bail down/reel engaged?

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    When fishing well known flathead waters, I wait for the final run when I think the flathead is done messing around. Sometimes this will take up to 20-30 minutes before the final digestion and consumption takes place. I compare a flathead bite to how a domestic cat will play with a battered mouse before the cat actually will eat it. The same charateristics apply to the flathead catfish.

4. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    switch to a kahle or circle hook. had you of had either of these 2 hooks on you would of hooked those fish when your rods bent over

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am with Chief. If the fish actually had the entire bait in it mouth, a circle would have set itself. There is nothing you can do if the fish makes a short strike, only taking in part of the bait. I had a day like that yesterday where fish hit short the entire time. Some days are like that.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    When I use circle hooks I have the reel engaged and let it load its self up and set the hook itself. With any other stlye of hook I have the baitclicker on so a fish can run with the bait and when a good run goes I engage the reel and pull back that usually does the job. I find it more difficult to set the hook with the reel engaged and using a hook that won't set itself.

Catfish are less line and hook shy than other fish so as long as the tension isn't changing they don't seem to mind much.

That is just my experience.

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'm leaving the reel disenguaged with the clicker on. Several of the runs were long. They could have been gar but they sure didn't feel like one. By the looks of the bait being completly scaled i would say it was flathead. I've tried using circles but I had a problem with the point going back into the bait. I need to get some big kahles. Does this sound like the bait is to big for the fish and they aren't getting it in there mouthes all the way?

8. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well i guess it wouldnt hurt to give us some stats on your tackle. what size hooks are you using? what kind of bait? what size of bait? what size of fish are you setup for? what kind of fish? when i fish with circle hooks i make sure i hook my bait at the very top corner so there is plenty of room for tip to turn and sink. thats a very often overlooked thing that leads to many losing faith in the circlehook. like yourself

9. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The bites here on the Maumee have really changed over the past 10 days. The fish are doing a lot more drag and drop, smash and drop, and short striking. They haven't been setting the hook themselves. Plus the average size has dropped down considerably. The time we are giving the fish before setting the hook really hasn't mattered at all either. Experiment a little bit on hook and bait size. I downsized to a 5/0 and I've been having pretty good luck. And I would definitely recommend you use a cross-body hookset. There is no need for a superman hookset. A quick sweep of the rod tip or a quick snap is all you need. I have been seeing alot of guys missing and losing fish because of a superman hookset over their heads.

10. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think this is one of my problems. Last couple hooksets I hit my rod on the bank behind me,lol

I'm using 4"to5" bluegill with a 7/0 octopus hook. These hooks are a generic no-name brand I bought in kentucky. I'm fishing for med/large channels and med/large flatheads. I don't use circle hooks with live bait (personal preference) but I use them with cutbait alot.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Of brand hooks? Not sharp enough could very well be the problem. I had the same problem last weekend and finally thought to check my hooks. Kinda sharp is not good enough.

Mine were Eagle Claw 7/0 khale hooks, but they have been in use for a little while among rocks.

12. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll also add that we are getting an equal number of hits between live and cut bait, but cut bait is landing fish at about 3 to 1 over live.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ahhhhh...live bait. 4"-5" bluegill are decent size, so you have to hope the fish has taken the bait into its mouth. They very well could be gar, and it is very hard to hook up on one of them.

I hope you are hooking the bait through the nose or lip. Fish will either stirke at the front or they will rotate the bait once hit to eat it head first.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have quit setting the hook. I now don't even touch my pole until the fish has caught itself. After my pole bends 2 or three times and keeps wiggling after the bending I reel in the fish.

Setting the hook is really you pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth.

Hook setting is over rated as I see it.

If the fish is not on your hook and you jerk and get the fish, well isn't that really snaging the fish.

I know I'm weird.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dug this up out of the old Library. This was originally posted by Rat

Attached Files:

16. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

17. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    As a rule, bigger bait gets chomped and run away with before being eaten. Grab a steak and run around the corner with it before someone else comes along and takes it away from you. Add they always eat your bait head first. Generaly that means they have to let go of the bait to position it for consumption. Position of your hook in the bait is another option. If you hook your bait in the nose/mouth you know you must wait until he's being swallowed/eaten. If hooked in the top dorsal, you might get him on the run if he has your bait situated in his mouth for crunching/killing it. Patience is paramount, You are not fishing with a worm that places the hook in his mouth right away. And no I don't use circle hooks, I just don't like them. Some pretty smart fishermen on here do, so that's up to you.
    I still miss some hook sets, I believe that's why they call it fishing. Hang in there, you'll get it!!
    Don

18. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    "I'm using 4"to5" bluegill with a 7/0 octopus hook. These hooks are a generic no-name brand I bought in kentucky. I'm fishing for med/large channels and med/large flatheads. I don't use circle hooks with live bait (personal preference) but I use them with cutbait alot."

for channel cats i use a 6/0-7/0 eagelclaw circle sea.i cut my bait in pieces 3/4"wide, x 1"-2" long. try hook the cutbait where its tough like by the backbone. also make sure that once your hook point goes through that there arent a bunch of scales stuck to the point. for flatheads i would recommend kahle or king kahle from 7/0 up.

19. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've been hooking gills in the dorsal fin and at the anal fin. I'm gonna try the lips or maybe through the eyes next time. Do you just hook through the upper lip or both? I tried through both lips and it killed the gill in no time. maybe because he couldn't get water through his gills? One of the hits I had lastnight didn't steal the bluegill I checked him out real good. His lips,one eye,all his fins except for his tail and most of the scales around mid body were gone. Not much damage to his tail. I let the fish run till he stoped then felt the line with my finger. I could feel him chewin the gill up real well. When he was doin that I locked the reel down, about a minute of chewin he took off slowly and pulled the pole down real hard. Thats when I set the hook.

Thanx for all the replys. I'm sure some of the runs are gar but some are definatly not. I realy think the hooks i'm using are junk. Comparing the tips to any gamakatsu hook is like,,,wow. I'll have to check my state regs on the stinger rig, not sure if it's legal here or not. Thought I read in there about only being able to use one single hook per rod. Anyone know for sure?

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Sounds like your using the PETA aproved Mellon full circle hook