Missing canoeist

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by rush_60, Apr 20, 2008.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    The news said these guys weren't wearing pfd's. The water is only about 50 degrees. everyone be safe.

Kansas City Star, The (MO)
    2008-04-20
    Section: BREAKING
    Edition: 1

Crews search Kansas River for missing canoeist

Rescue crews searched late into the night for a missing boater who fell into the Kansas River when his canoe overturned earlier today.

Three men in a canoe were boating near Eudora in Douglas County, about a mile away from the Johnson County border, when their boat capsized, said Lt. Kari Wempe, a spokeswoman for the Douglas County sheriff. Authorities were called to the scene about 5:45 p.m. to search for the man.

Two of the men made it safely to shore, but a 26-year-old man from De Soto was still missing tonight.

Several helicopters searched from overhead while authorities from Douglas County sheriff and fire, Eudora police and fire, the Kansas Highway Patrol, and Kansas Wildlife and Parks and others, scoured the waters.

By 10 p.m. the search had ended for the day, though a helicopter still whirled overhead and Kansas search dogs were still working the river banks, in hopes of some trace of the man.

If they are unable to find the man, rescue crews will continue their search again Sunday morning, Wempe said.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    PRAYERS FOR THE MISSING MAN AND HIS FAMILY FROM SO. ALABAMA:sad2:

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats too bad! Not a good idea to be in a canoe without a life jacket when the water is still cold.Hopefully there is a happy ending but it is a reminder of some of the dangers out there.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    This is a sad reminder of how we all need to be careful.

I am particularly wary at this point in my kayaking experience...knowledgeable enough to get in and out of the water confidently and make where I want to go. A very dangerous time. This is the experience level that lures me into recklessness--overconfidence that assumes more risk than I really am ready to handle.

Yes, be careful out there; it beats being a statistic any day! :sad2: