Missing boater

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Mrs Okie, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    Searchers look for Boater missing near Crystal City
    From staff reports
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH​
    07/16/2009
    UPDATED: 5:43 a.m. Friday
    Missouri Water Patrol searchers were out early this morning searching for a boater who was lost in a storm on Thursday evening.

[​IMG]

The patrol called off the search Thursday night for the boater who went missing in the Mississippi near Crystal City during a storm. Early reports said that the boat was struck by lightning.

Two men were in the boat somewhere near the Harry Truman Memorial Park about 7 p.m. Thursday when the accident happened. It was hailing and there was frequent lightning when the accident happened.

The men got ejected from the boat. One of the men swam to safety, but the second man is still missing.

2. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    seems we both posted this att he same time. gonna go read the post. :big_smile:

3. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Great minds think alike. :wink: :wink:

4. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Searchers look for boater missing near Crystal City

By Carolyn Tuft
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH​
    07/16/2009
    UPDATED: 6:30 a.m. Friday
    JEFFERSON COUNTY -- Missouri Water Patrol searchers were out early this morning searching for a boater who was lost in a storm on Thursday evening.

[​IMG]

The Missouri Water Patrol reported that at 6:48 p.m. Thursday, two men were in an 18-foot utility boat in the Mississippi River. They were trying to get to a boat ramp when a thunderstorm broke out. Then, the boat's outboard motor began to stall out.

The two men tried to use the boat's trolling motor to get to the nearest shore, the patrol reported. One of the men told the patrol that he heard "a crackling noise and when he looked back over his shoulder" he saw the other man fall face first into the waters, the patrol reported.

The boat is a 1982 Alweld Utility boat. The boat's owner is Bobbie J. Brown, 43, of Crystal City. Brown made it out of the water, but the passenger, Walter Culp, 32, of Festus, is still missing.

Searchers are trying to find Culp near the Mississippi River's 141 mile marker near Crystal City.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Prayers to the family and friends. Terrible thing to happen.

6. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Wow, sounds like lighting got him.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    :eek:oooh: Man, what a terrible thing. Thats why I get off the water at the first sign of lightning. That's apparently what they were trying to do also. What a shame. :sad2:

8. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I am real afraid of lighting. I have a aluminan boat, I bet it would make a good target. It's past 7 and the mo water patrol still has not started it's search. They should of been there at daylight. I guess they already look at it as a recovery and not a rescue.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Your probably correct Patrick. Assuming the boater that survived probably told them he didnt come back up. Hate to see this kind of thing. Lord willing, I hope Mrs Cuz never has to get a phone call like this gentlemans family did. I have told her though, if it ever happens, it was my time to go and I went doing something that I love and that permeates every cell of my body. Its a passion. I told her to not despair, but move on, and remember the good times. The Sippi isnt the safest river on the planet for sure.

I'm sitting here talking to the father in law, (on fire department) and they were out at the ramp all night. He is saying that they were only 15 feet from the boat ramp when they got hit by the lightning. He's pretty sure they have located him, and they are trying to clear out media and spectators so they can make the recovery. Trajic and sad. Prayers with his family.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  10. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Thats just crazy because last night we had a boat crash on the great miami river here in ohio and there still looking for the boater this morning!!:crazy::sad2:

11. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tradgedies such as this serve to remind each of us of our own mortatlity. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of both the young men involved knowing but for the Grace of God, it could have been any of us, at any time.

12. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Andrew do you have the article about that boat crash up there?

13. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    No I dont have the artical but ill get it and post it for you.

14. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Rescue crews have resumed their search for a missing boater friday morning.
    The boating accident happened in the Great miami river behind the vfw on Marina dr. in West Carrollton thursday evening.
    Police said thay received several calls from witness who said that saw a splash of water and then the boat drifted to the side.
    Thay now belive the victim a 43 yr. old male from west carrollton, fell over board and the operation has moved from a rescue operation to a recovery effort. :sad2:

15. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I just found out the fire dept. found the body of the missing boater. :sad2:

16. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Sorry to hear that Andy, thanks for the update.

17. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    FESTUS, MO (KTVI-FOX2now.com) - The search continues in Jefferson County for a missing boater. The Missouri Water Patrol is looking for a man that disappeared in the Mississippi River just south of Festus. Authorities say Junior Culp was boating with a friend Thursday afternoon on the river when bad weather moved into the area. The boat was reportedly having some kind of engine problems and stopped running.

Culp was trying to fix the boat when lightning flashed. Jennifer Culp, the wife of the missing boater says, "As far as I know, his friend that was with him told me that they heard a lightning flash and when he turned around, that my husband, Junior, was gone." The friend Culp was boating with was not injured.

Culp's wife is pleading for volunteers to help search for her husband.

18. killerporkchops

killerporkchops New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Oh gosh thats horrible. :crazy:
    I hope they can find him safe and sound.

19. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    terrible things prayers go out to both the missouri and the ohio families:sad2: