Missing bites with circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bnt55, Jun 10, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I am getting a little frustrated here, went out today and caught a couple of flatheads but missed about 6 more "bites" on my live/cut shad. Here is my scenario:

20 lb power pro with slip sinker and 30lb flouro leader with a 2/0 octopus circle hook, hooked through the shad's eyes. I would leave the pole in the holder and when a fish hit it would bend over and bounce a couple time then nothing? A few times I reeled back in and the bait had bite marks at it's tail, apparently the fish didnt go for the head...but other times it just seems that they werent getting hooked for some strange reason. I tried setting my drag real light where I could pull line off pretty easily but not sure what I am doing wrong. Some help would be appreciated.

thanks
    Bill

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Are you using live shad or dead.

If dead cut the shad and just put a piece on with the hook exposed.

If live hook thru the body just behind the dorsel fin but a little deeper than what you would a minnow just don't get into any vitals or bone.

Having the drag set light won't help. You need the drag so when the fish pulls it will set the hook.

and you might need to go to a bigger hook. Hooks don't bother cats. When they want to eat they will try to eat no matter what. Depending on the size cats your after I would use a minumum of a 4/0 but would probably go to a 7/0 for big fish.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < A few times I reeled back in and the bait had bite marks at it's tail, apparently the fish didnt go for the head...>
    That surely happens occasionally.
    <2/0 octopus circle hook>
    We use 8.0 octopus circles. Your hook may be too small, and not getting a hook up in the fish's mouth. I've said it before, but since switching to the Gamakatsu 8.0 octopus circles, our hookup ratio is near 100% on any legitimate hit.
    BB in SC

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    No matter what hook you use IF the fish does NOT have the hook in it's mouth it's not going to get hooked. If you are getting strange bites like that it could be the fish are just picking up your baits and moving them off there nest. Just a thought or you could you know put a stinger hook in it.

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    id say get a bigger hook or use a smaller bait.

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I will definately switch to larger hooks, since I am on the Ohio River there is no telling what will come along. I have always heard to hook shad through the eyes, but I will start hooking behind dorsal fin and see if that helps. I guess the short strikes and torn up shad could be gars?

Thanks for the replies

Bill

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    do you have gar
    just asking because gar are famous for picking a bait up then dropping it as soon as you pull or reel him in

8. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like you are having problems with turtles or gar considering you said there were actual bite marks on the bait.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It might not be flatheads...Also that hook is way to small..I use 8/0 circles.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It wasn't that long ago that I thought a 2/0 hook was pretty dang huge. But it's not. And you can catch teeny tiny catfish on an 8/0 hook; I do it all the time.

If you're fishing live bait with a circle hook, you pretty much need to wait until the rod tip is bent over and stays bent over before you touch it. You'll get a lot of small fish that grab your bait by the tail and can't really take off with it. When the right fish comes along, there won't be any question.

Discipline is the hardest thing to learn when using circle hooks. It does you no good to run and pick up the rod every time the tip twitches; let the fish take the bait, load up the rod and then you can think about picking it up.

And if you're not using a good sturdy rod holder, you probably won't be very successful with circle hooks - a forked willow branch or a rod laid up against the gunwale won't do the trick; it needs to be firmly anchored down so the fish can pull against it and do the work.

With a circle hook, the fish catches himself; all you do is reel it in.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    adding to that most of the time if you leave the rod in the holder and (while the rods bent not bouncing) give the reel a couple quick cranks it will load the rod better driving the hook in.