Missed twice now.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by wayne1967, Aug 29, 2009.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Twice now I've missed good hits. Pole bends, starts stripping out line while in free spool. I engauge, reel down the slack, go to set the hook and nothing. I've been using big baits. Do any of you use two hooks in a large piece?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    What type and size hooks are you using? The hook needs to be large enough to go through the bait and leave the hook point well exposed. Double hooks work well for large baits but not always necessary. There is a lot of variables to your question.

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    A lot of time if you are using a big bait in the river the bait will get turned back into the hook point as the current works the bait back and fourth. This has happened to me to many times. If you are using long strips of cut bait do not hook them in the middle. This will almost always get the bait turned back into the hook. This is also true on live bait or hole bait. Try hooking the bait in different spots. If I am using cut bait I try to hook it as close to the end as possible. This has worked best for me on cut baits. If you are using hole bait such as large shad try hooking them through the nose or come up through the bottom of the mouth and through the hard part of the nose. This has worked best for me on hole baits. A lot of times you dont need large baits to catch big fish. The one in my avitar come off a piece of 2 inch cut asian carp. I caught a 48 lb this year out of the river on a piece of 3 inch cut asian carp. If you are using more than one rod and reel try different size baits to see what the fish want. I use 8/0 Gamagatus octapus cirlce hooks. Dont pay attention on the spelling on what type of hooks I use:smile2:. Hope this helps.
    Tom

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    depending on where your fishing, the hits might be gar. gar like to pick up bait and run with it before eating it. i have this problem a lot. they will bend the pole in half, and peel off drag but never hook up. this is because thier mouths are narrow and often hard to get them to bite right on your hook.

5. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri

Was my thoughts exactly...Good call!

6. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish in the current of the river. Doubt if it was a gar. They are usually hang in the slack water.

7. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    use circle hooks and keep your line tight...they will do the work for ya

8. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    it is true they do prefer slack water, but i have caught some monster gar fishing the current seams at the end of wing dikes. they hang just out of the current, and feed on bait fish that come through, kinda like a flathead. i have this issue mainly on the missouri river, where i encounter big gar and BIG turtles that hit that same way.